• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Upgrade from Shure SE310

punit12

Hi there,

I just wanted to know if the B&W C5 would be a good upgrade over my current Shure SE310s? I can get a pair from a friend for around £80, would this price justify the upgrade or should I stick with the Shure?

Thanks!

McCol

I've not heard either but from price and reviews etc I reckon it would be a side step. Although for £80 might be worth a punt.

mjm2705

I have the Shure 210s & the B&W's ... so not exactly the comparison you're looking for. I am on my 4th pair of B&Ws due to quality issues with the first 3 but it appears they fixed something as the latest version have lasted a year or so.

To my ears, the B&Ws are a significant upgrade however you do need to be aware that on some recordings they can come across as bass heavy with some absent mid-range but ... again, to my ears, they do sound superb and are built really well.

I listen mainly via an iPod classic with recordings that are lossless alac on iTunes converted on the fly to 256 aac when moved to the iPod.

I have toyed with replacing them a few times but I think I would need to drop some serious money to get a significant improvement and can't really justify that right now.

Let me know if there's anything specific you need to know.

sinnottj

The Shure 310 have balanced armature drivers, whereas the the C5 have dynamic drivers, so they are going to have pretty different sound presentations (caveat: I've not heard either!)

From everything I've read about the C5, I'd expect them to be bass-heavy, and not very controlled bass at that.

punit12

Thanks for the detailed replies!

I do feel like a change and am finding bass response from my Shures to be a bit low for my liking (I listen to all sorts of music but I like heavy bass when needed too- e.g. when listening to EDM/dubstep)

Maybe they are worth a punt at that price!

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom