Upgrade from SD to HD any ideas??

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by ched, Jan 21, 2008.

1. ched

ched

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +110
    Difficult to choose forum but here goes.

I would like to upgrade my very old kit to HD. I have an Epson TW10H, Sony 930 receiver, and standard DVD player.

Realistically it will take me 6 months to save for a projector and 6 months for an amp, Xbox (XBMC) etc......So budget end of things.

So my question is does everyone think it is best to go for a new projector first say a HD65 or get a new amp, or maybe go for an almost free Toshiba HD-EP30 well sort off, £120 with 7 HD DVDs. Its tempting but 70% certainty that HD-DVD will die in 2008.......

So which component to upgrade first????

Cheers

2. binbag

binbag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    I'd get the source first and upgrade the display later. I think you'd get more of the HD benefit by downscaling HD rather than upscaling SD. Also PJ prices are dropping and you'll be able to buy better with the same amount of cash later on. I'm waiting for the lamp to go on mine (and for the HD discs price to drop ) before I look at upgrading.

3. sapper

sapper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +145
    Interesting question,

The whole market is in a state of flux as new fully HD complaint stuff is being phased in. Consequently older models (be it projectors, screens amps etc) will be avaialibe at discounted prices in comparison.

But some new kit is not as all singing as it seems. For example the new Onkyo recievers featuring Hi-Def sound formats seem to ahve issues with the HDMI switching.

So in some arguemtns it could be classed as the time to buy- but if you do, what youare buying might not be that future proof, if that is possible.

I would start looking at your whole set up and upgrade as you can, in an order that you are likely to most benefit from.

I hope this helps

Adrian

4. ched

ched

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +110
    Cheers, I had read the Onkyo have a bit of a HDMI switching problem. Thhats a bit annoying as I was thinking that the Onkyo's looked good.

The more I think the more I fancy a new toy and with Tosh selling the HD-DVD players at £120 with 7 movies its soooo tempting!!! :D

5. mallard

mallard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    hi,
    went through the same process before xmas and got in chrono order:
    PS3 60gb model - a very good piece of kit, glad i went bluray - (see forum) and i quite like some of the games although not a gamer and according to my son ' a blind man with no arms could do better!'
    Onkyo 605 - pleased with this, haven't had any problems. I understand a new version about to be released
    HD1 - again very pleased

I agree with previous comments, get the source sorted first, i would suggest that bluray seems to be the safest bet but that is my opinion - so no angry responses please re hdd vs br
    problem was, that what was supposed to be a gradual replacement process (and easy on the pocket) ended up taking 3 weeks (pocket said ouch!)
    hope this helps
    John

6. ched

ched

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +110
    mallard: Thanks.
    At the moment its all down to money. £120 for HD-DVD + 7 movies or £280 + movies for a PS3! I have read loads on Blu-ray vs HD-DVD and its an ongoing thing. I think its probable 70% probability HD-DVD will not be releasing new movies by 2010 but thats a good couple of years off. By then Blu-ray should be cheaper :)

I must admit that if I had the money now I would buy the Optoma HD65, Onkyo 605, and Tosh HD-35. But spending close on £1000 isnt going to happen any time soon, well unless my weekly £1 wins the lottery :D

I think that the fact that the first device in either the audio or video system is one of the most important is still true. As if you feed the best projector in the world a naff signal you cant expect a perfect picture.

Cheers

7. xs2man

xs2man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    With all what you've said in mind, I think it would be better for you to get the PS3 first mate. I would love that toshiba HD-DVD player, sounds awsome (where do you get it from btw?). But if you beleive Blu ray to come out on top (which I didn't think it would, but I am slowly beleiving it might), although the ps3 aint the best BR player, its SD DVD player is fantastic, and has won many awards on this basis. As such, it would be a good base for the rest of your HD set-up to revolve around.

I personally have 2 xbox 360's (a small banning incident led to the first console being perm. banned from online play) a wii and a PS3 going through an Onkyo 705 amp, towards a HD65 PJ and I am happy with the results (although, movie playback has been hit and miss with the ps3 - hd65 with the pink tinge problem, but I have only made 2 attempts so far, both SD, and it worked once, didn't the next, so further investigation is being carried out).

So, with that in mind, I have a similar set-up to what you had in mind.

I went about mine all the wrong way though. Having already having one of my 360's, I went for the Amp next. Then the PS3, then the PJ last (although I already had a PJ, I couldn't use it with the amp due to connections, i.e. only VGA, so I used my 42" plasma instead, until I got the HD65).

My PS3 was bought primarily as an SD DVD player, having never used it for games, I cannot comment on this, as, to me at least, the 360 is the better gaming machine as a result of xbox live.

Your final plan seems sound enough, but I would spend a little more in the short term and plump for the PS3 initially, as it will make a wonderful start to your new system, and is the format YOU beleive will become the outright winner in this war. I dont see the point in buying the HD-DVD because its cheap, if you think the format will dissapear in a couple years. That means it'll cost you 120+ quid for a player you beleive will shortly be reduntant, and it doesn't sound to me like you have a lot of dispossable cash in the first place.