Upgrade from QA 3010i 5.1 system to B&W 607 S2 or something else?

Jaxkesa

I have had the QA "home cinema package" with 3010is, a 3050 centre and 3070 sub for about 6 years and wanting to upgrade to something a bit better.

Mainly for watching movies/TV in a medium sized living room along with a Denon-X4500H. I won't really be listening to music on them. Budget is up to £1500.

I was originally looking at the MA Silvers but not sure if they are overkill. Then I saw the B&W 607 S2 Anniversary which seem to be reduced at the moment so a nice upgrade without spending too much. There are some glowing reviews but then found some audio sites where people say they are rubbish.

Can anyone advise on this or if the MA Silvers or B&W 607 S2 Anniversary are indeed an upgrade from the QAs?

Jester1066

I run MA Silver 6g speakers for my base layer in a 5.2.4 setup - with the same 4500 AVR. (See signature - rotate phone to landscape 😉)....

For movies they are absolutely ruddy fantastic imo. My room in 3m wide by.4.57m long (standard height ceilings). It isn't a dedicated room, but I get the full immersive experience sound wise with these speakers. I don't find them overkill at all (even with dual SVS subs!). Highly recommend these range of speakers and will be a significant upgrade on the QA's imo.

I'd caveat that with saying (as always) an audition of at least the stereo L&R speakers is a must. The MA's are likely more forward in the treble than the QA's.

The Silver 100 standmount (Bookshelfs) are hard to be beat in terms of bass reproduction from a standmount in this price bracket. Although I now use the 3 way Silver 300's as an L&R in my HT setup, so impressed with the 100's was I that I kept them for the bedroom setup!

I can only imagine the 7th Gen silvers will be equally as good too. Although whichever brand speakers you go for, I'd avoid the matching sub. This is often the weakest speaker and far better value can be had by going with dedicated sub manufacturers, like SVS, BK electric (British) etc.

Monolith subs are very good value & popular among forum members (as is their encore range of speakers) - Although I've not heard them myself.

Happy to answer any other questions too!

Good luck

Jester1066

In addition. If your seating/sofa is against or near the rear wall (as is the case in my setup). The Bipole/Dipole switchable MA Silver FX speakers are great for surrounds. Giving a very wide dispersion of sound.

Jaxkesa

Thanks for the info. Sofa is near the back wall so the FX surround speakers do look appealing but the 7th gen set is a bit pricey so might see if I can find a good deal on the bronze set. The B&Ws are quite a bit cheaper but I'm put off by the mixed reviews.

I don't have anywhere nearby where I can audition speakers unfortunately so kind of relying on reviews and opinions! Will need to do some more research.

Jester1066

Thanks for the info. Sofa is near the back wall so the FX surround speakers do look appealing but the 7th gen set is a bit pricey so might see if I can find a good deal on the bronze set. The B&Ws are quite a bit cheaper but I'm put off by the mixed reviews.

I don't have anywhere nearby where I can audition speakers unfortunately so kind of relying on reviews and opinions! Will need to do some more research.
Here's a set of 6th Gen FX's:

rccarguy2

Distinguished Member
Best to demo a few brands first. Those two brands are quite forward.

Jester1066

Best to demo a few brands first. Those two brands are quite forward.
I did say an audition was recommended and said that the MA's were/may be more forward in the treble than his QA's, in my reply... OP then mentioned this:

I suppose he could order them online and use distance selling regs to try them in his home for 14 days.

Ultimately I'd always recommend at least an in store demo (ideally a home demo's better), but appreciate that's not possible for everyone.

I'm lucky as I've a number of store fairly local (and drive), so can collect gear to home demo - if it's available obviously!

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
I have had the QA "home cinema package" with 3010is, a 3050 centre and 3070 sub for about 6 years and wanting to upgrade to something a bit better.

Mainly for watching movies/TV in a medium sized living room along with a Denon-X4500H. I won't really be listening to music on them. Budget is up to £1500.

I was originally looking at the MA Silvers but not sure if they are overkill. Then I saw the B&W 607 S2 Anniversary which seem to be reduced at the moment so a nice upgrade without spending too much. There are some glowing reviews but then found some audio sites where people say they are rubbish.

Can anyone advise on this or if the MA Silvers or B&W 607 S2 Anniversary are indeed an upgrade from the QAs?

600 serie is B&Ws budget range and AVForums reviewed the 600 & 600 S2 5.1 packages and mentioned one competitor being QA 3050i 5.1 so i would see themmore at the level of MA Bronzes. Looking the measurements they are very bright sounding speakers - more so than Monitor Audios, but of course with some eq they can "tamed" to some degree.
The current Silver 6G prices are very low and makes them one of best deals in UK. Finish alone in MA is step up similar to B&W 700 range. Overkill? Nonsense. Always buy best speakers you can afford as you have good receiver already.

I have listed some models here which are still available (also the larger 300 & 500 towers are there if intrested):

Jaxkesa

Thanks for all the advice. I originally went to purchase some Monitor Audio 6th Gen speakers but they were out of stock however I got a good deal on a set of 7th Gen speakers which I couldn't turn down. Matched with an SVS SB2000 Pro subwoofer and really happy with the upgrade in sound and how they look.

5179B025-FA23-4099-B30A-B1B1F925DDBF.jpeg

E5724FAB-C5EE-4661-A52E-6B86D11EC4E7.jpeg

Jester1066

Thanks for all the advice. I originally went to purchase some Monitor Audio 6th Gen speakers but they were out of stock however I got a good deal on a set of 7th Gen speakers which I couldn't turn down. Matched with an SVS SB2000 Pro subwoofer and really happy with the upgrade in sound and how they look.

View attachment 1688747

View attachment 1688745
Lovely clean looking setup mate. I'm really pleased you got a good deal on some 7th Gen Silvers. They look great in satin white too.

Have you repurposed the QA's as upfiring atmos speakers? Maybe consider the matching Silver AMS to replace: 😂😉...

Jaxkesa

Lovely clean looking setup mate. I'm really pleased you got a good deal on some 7th Gen Silvers. They look great in satin white too.

Have you repurposed the QA's as upfiring atmos speakers? Maybe consider the matching Silver AMS to replace: 😂😉...

The Atmos speakers are my existing PSB Imagine XAs. I couldn't really justify buying the AMS ones although they would look neater.

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung S95B Update, B&W Panorama 3 & Q Acoustics Reviews, HDR PQ EOTF/Gamma Calibration Discussion
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom