Upgrade from Q Acoustics 3050

I currently have Q Acoustics 3050 fronts, QA 3020 Surrounds and Centre and using a SVS SB3000 for bass duties, driven by a Denon x3400H. I'm quite happy with my setup and the sound, but have gotten a bit of an upgrade bug. What speakers should I consider as the next logical step up in the CAD 5000/ pair range? In intend to start with the towers and then at some point upgrade the center and surrounds. The main area of improvement I would seek is in music listening in 2.1 mode. Since I use the subwoofer, bass output of the speakers is not as important as other things such as clarity, smoothness, soundstage etc. My room is 20x15 and I have placement restrictions so neither tower can be more than 10 inches away from the front wall, and 1 speaker is 10 inches away from the side wall. I cannot increase this under any circumstances.
My possible choices are Revel F206, Focal Chora 826, Focal Aria 926, MA Audio Silver 300, maybe gold 200, Sonus Faber Sonetto III, Canton Vento 896.2, paradigm prestige 75F, Martin Logan motion 60xi. Kef R7, B&W 702 S2 or 704 S2, Wharefedale Evo 4.3 or 4.4.

Music tastes vary - but primarily a lot of rock and heavy metal, but also quite a bit of Jazz, blues and the occasional hip hop.

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Have you considered standmount models from those same ranges if you have placement restrictions and you use subwoofer with music too? If you pick floorstanders i would eye the smaller versions.

The answer you probably don´t want to hear is that you really need to go listen the speakers in hifi shop, preferably some dealer which has many of those models so you can compare them side by side. Perhaps then take the "winner" for home trial at the end before deciding. Bring your own music with you and sit down. What other people/review think X product is mostly irrelevant as people have so many different tastes, i mean blind buy would be too risky for such expensive products.

Upvote 0
I know..and I wish I could But firstly, no dealer has all of these and more importantly, its covid anyway, so evening going and listening is not an option. I might have to risk sending back something i don't like, but that will also rake up the cost in the end if I don't minimize that. Given that i like the Q acoustics sound, i thought maybe i can narrow down my choices. maybe find somebody who had the QAs and upgraded to one of these and hopefully found them better? I do understand that ultimately it would be a subjective option. Also, I have a preference for towers, but im open to bookshelves.

Upvote 0

password1

Distinguished Member
Q acoustics concept 40. At £699 they are a bargain as the equivalent speakers in the same finish from the likes of Monitor Audio cost twice as much. Silver 200 on gloss finish.

the concept 20/40/centre see equivalent to the MA silvers which you have shortlisted.

Upvote 0
Unfortunately - I'd have to buy them from the US site as they aren't available in Canada direct. So price wise the MA Silver 300 actually ends up cheaper - by a few bucks. Also, I wouldn't be able to audition the QAs, but I would be able to do so with the MAs as there are some dealers who have them in store

Upvote 0

password1

Distinguished Member
If you're in Canada i would take advantage of speakers that are available cheaper there, such as PSB and Paradigm.

Upvote 0

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic JZ2000 Final Thoughts - TV Calibration: Should you? And More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom