Upgrade from Pioneer plasma

mjm383

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi my current set up is a 42" pioneer plasma with humax hdr1000s & android box which both connect via ethernet to my synology drive.
What am looking for is a 55" tv that can accommodate twin sat tuner with ethernet connection and have as good as a picture and if possible sound as the pioneer i do halso have a cambridge audio TV2 sound bar that hasnt been needed due to the quality from the pioneer. We watch a lot of movies and i intend to upgrade my movie collection to 4K at some point. I havent been out to check any tv's yet but my budget will be up to £1500 and have looekd into the samsung QE80T, for price then either Q85 or Q95T but to be honest have managed to get confused to all the technologies available.
Can anyone point me in the right direction ?

I would defo aim for the LG CX 55 inch tv. its in the budget to.

twin sat tuner
Narrows down your choice to Samsung Q70T and up, I'd recommend at least the Q80T or the over-priced LG WX OLED.

Other TVs lack Freesat compatibility despite having twin tuners, lack Freesat completely or only use a single tuner.

Although you may want to reconsider using built in TV software to record if you want to retain the same kind of advance functionality to recording as a PVR. Things like series record may be missing.
good as a picture
Subjective, better probably if you use a high quality source. Older material like broadcast/catch up TV will probably look better on your old TV. New TV is for new, high quality sources. It won't polish everything and make it look better, and moving from Plasma to a different technology will certainly be a different experience. Two steps forward, maybe one or two back. Its the price you have to pay to enjoy the latest high quality material (like UHD Blu-Rays) and is similar to how SD quality pictures were worse on the first HD TVs we bought.
possible sound as the pioneer
Definitely want to keep your soundbar. Tinny on board sound from flat panel TVs with no room for speakers. If you care little about value the LG WX I mentioned does come with its own soundbar though.

Narrows down your choice to Samsung Q70T and up, I'd recommend at least the Q80T or the over-priced LG WX OLED.

Other TVs lack Freesat compatibility despite having twin tuners, lack Freesat completely or only use a single tuner.

Although you may want to reconsider using built in TV software to record if you want to retain the same kind of advance functionality to recording as a PVR. Things like series record may be missing.

Subjective, better probably if you use a high quality source. Older material like broadcast/catch up TV will probably look better on your old TV. New TV is for new, high quality sources. It won't polish everything and make it look better, and moving from Plasma to a different technology will certainly be a different experience. Two steps forward, maybe one or two back. Its the price you have to pay to enjoy the latest high quality material (like UHD Blu-Rays) and is similar to how SD quality pictures were worse on the first HD TVs we bought.

Definitely want to keep your soundbar. Tinny on board sound from flat panel TVs with no room for speakers. If you care little about value the LG WX I mentioned does come with its own soundbar though.
Thanks Dodgexander I have been looking at the Samsung Q85 & 95T's, think they are in the running. Just need to physically check them out

I have decided on the Samsung Q80T95 and purchased it from Richer Sounds with the 6 year warranty, looking forward to receiving it next week.
Thank you guyd for your advice.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom