upgrade from pioneer 737 dvd player ?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by robert_cyrus, Aug 31, 2004.

1. robert_cyrus

robert_cyrus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    hi
    i have had my 737 for 3 years or so, used with 28" widescreen panasonic tv and cyrus av system.
    have seen a couple of deals around on arcam dv89 @ £599, have also seen denon 2200 reviews.
    are players like this a major upgrade over the 737 ?
    basically looking for better PQ and sound.
    don't have dvd-a or sacd capability - would need to upgrade cyrus av8 with 6 channel input.
    thanks
    regards
    robert

2. Philly112

Philly112

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,657
    For what it's worth, I have looked at upgrading my Sony 735 to a Denon 2900. Borrowed one for a weekend, and found interlaced picture to be no better. Progressive Scan was better on the projector, but not massively so.
    I suspect that with your screen you would struggle to see any improvements (and IMHO I don't think there have been any, other than SACD etc).
    Phil

3. Ikki

Ikki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    For a 28" tv, there is unlikely to be an improvement in the picture, the higher end players come into their own on large screens e.g. plasmas and projectors.

Where you will gain is in sound quality, the Arcam is especially good for CD's. So if you are interested in upgrading the sound side of the system, it may be worth it, but stick to the 737 if only the picture is important.

4. robert_cyrus

robert_cyrus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    thanks for your replies.
    cd has a dedicated player, the 737 is just for movies.
    guess i'll stick with it - just don't like to pass up on a good offer, but i guessed with a 28" the PQ difference wouldn't be that noticeable.

5. dexter

dexter
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I changed my 737 for a Rotel 1060 and have to say that it is marginally better PQ wise - but it is an excellent cd player - better than my marantz cd6000se!

6. robfitzp

robfitzp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Changed my 737 for a DV88+ when they started discounting them. Image is definitely more natural but IMHO the biggest improvement is in the DD/DTS output on digital coax, surprising what an impact the transport can make.

CD sound on either is pretty awful. If anyone says a DV88/89 is a good CD player it is only because they have not heard a good CD player......

Prob not worth changing unless you intend to change your display though.

Cheers
    Rob

7. pantages

pantages

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    I recently upgraded from a 747 to a 757 which has progressive scan on PAL and NTSC plus 'i-link' which gives terrific sound. The 757 is a superb machine and is available for less than £450 nowadays.

8. Ikki

Ikki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    Robofitzp

Nobody is saying that the DV88/89 is as good as a dedicated high end CD player, but it is better than most other DVD players of a reasonable price. Not everyone wants to spend vast sums of cash to buy a machine that only plays CD's. To many the DVD is what's important, decent CD sound is a bonus. If you can afford both the cost and space and the extra remote then that's fine. :boring:

9. robfitzp

robfitzp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Ikki

I haven't got a high end player - a Musical Fidelity X-Ray which is about £350-£400 nowadays.

I stand by my statement that both the 737 and the DV88+ are lousy with CD. Even if used as a transport feeding an external DAC they are still both lousy with CD....

Cheers
    Rob