Upgrade from panny dd 5.1 to Soundbar help.

doughnut

Standard Member
Hi all.

I have a 13 year old dvd Panasonic Dolby digital 5.1 system and although still pretty strong for movies and sky q. It is time to wall mount the tv and delve into atmos.

I have seen the 2 sound bars with detachable speakers for the rear. Jbl 9.1 and the Phillips b97

I see issues with b97 but this unit is my absolute max budget. So the jbl is £100 over budget and simply not possible.

Is there anything that will be better sounding than my current setup and atmos enabled for my budget of £799.

Although my current system is old and wrinkly. It still impressed me in digital 5.1.
It’s 1000w and still shakes the doors.

I would of bought the jbl if it was the same price. Seems it was at one point cheaper than the Phillips b97 but now it is £100 more.

Of should I just stick with what I’ve got?

Thanks for your help all.

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
‘It’s 1000w’ ignore the 1980’s marketing guff, realistically your system is likely outputting 30-50w per channel.

Room, seating and loudspeaker layout - is it optimised for immersive (Atmos) playback?

Atmos - can be great, though actual content encoded with Atmos may not make up much of your viewing and listening!

‘Is there anything that will be better sounding than my current setup and atmos enabled for my budget of £799’ - a budget AVR plus 5.1 Speaker system would be worth a listen to get an idea of what you have vs. what your budget will allow.

Joe

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic JZ2000 Final Thoughts - TV Calibration: Should you? And More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom