Upgrade from Panasonic Plasma?

jordie1983

Standard Member
So I currently have a Panasonic TH37PX60B which was bought many moons ago long before children etc came along.

I'd love to upgrade the TV to 55" with decent smart functions and eARC connection (hoping to add a Sonos sound bar at some point).

Unfortunately I'm only in the market for a sub £500 model and wonder if I'll be disappointed in picture quality and whether it will be an upgrade in that department at all. I like a 'natural' looking image, and previously disliked the super bright unnatural colours that LCD seemed to show.

The TV needs to be good for general family TV viewing, a real mix of all types (no gaming), occasional game of footy too, streaming etc, freeview box and DVDs.

I've read Dodgexanders guide and like the price of the Samsung 55TU7100 but somewhat concerned I cant currently get to a shop to have a look at one.

Am I daft to consider it in comparison to the old faithful Panny Plasma? or should I keep saving and not tell the Mrs I've spent £1000 on an OLED or similar?

Any thoughts would be greatly received. Thanks all.

tvdavid

I would scratch that and look for a bigger used Panasonic 42 inch to 50 inch set on used site but its a bit hard to see them working now we have lockdown but expect to pay up to £100 to £200 and will be better.

tvdavid

Save up for a 55 inch LG BX or Sony XH95 55 inch set.

Dodgexander

That is a 15 year old TV now, so the differences will be stark between that and a newer model, even a budget one. However part of buying a TV nowadays is understanding HDR, and HDR doesn't cut it on cheaper TVs, so you may want to think about spending more money if you want something to be future proof, and not have problems with the picture when using content in HDR from streaming services.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Samsung TV Launch & QN95A Neo QLED Review, plus Film & TV news & Reviews
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom