Upgrade from Pana TX-50CS630 or I should stay?

Zsolt

Standard Member
Reaction score
Please help me...

We have this lovely Pana 50CS630 edge lit FULL HD LCD from 2015. VA type with around 4400:1 contrast ratio. I love this TV so much. The color accuracy, the PQ, and the reflection handling.

We only watch full HD material through Apple TV 4K in our bright living room, but I do not intent to watch/upgrade 4K because of bandwith limitation.

The only thing I am thinking about the change is the HDR and maybe to reach better contrast. But I have been told that this TV is from Pana's Golden Age and for full hd source having full hd TV is the best. Then I read a lot about 4k tv's upscaling problems, judder/stutter, blooming etc. etc. and I am scared.

What do you think? Does it worth to buy a 55 GZ950 Oled or maybe a Sony 55 XG9505 (i do not know this Sony would be an upgrade beside the screen size) for full HD?

Thanks for any opinion and have a nice day.

Please help me...

We have this lovely Pana 50CS630 edge lit FULL HD LCD from 2015. VA type with around 4400:1 contrast ratio. I love this TV so much. The color accuracy, the PQ, and the reflection handling.

We only watch full HD material through Apple TV 4K in our bright living room, but I do not intent to watch/upgrade 4K because of bandwith limitation.

The only thing I am thinking about the change is the HDR and maybe to reach better contrast. But I have been told that this TV is from Pana's Golden Age and for full hd source having full hd TV is the best. Then I read a lot about 4k tv's upscaling problems, judder/stutter, blooming etc. etc. and I am scared.

What do you think? Does it worth to buy a 55 GZ950 Oled or maybe a Sony 55 XG9505 (i do not know this Sony would be an upgrade beside the screen size) for full HD?

Thanks for any opinion and have a nice day.
You seem to love your tv like I loved my old one. As a result I kept it too long...

So to keep it brief, if you buy the Pana oled gz950, it is like moving from a golf tdi to a Ferrari...

The evolution of recent tv is something many underestimate. The extended color gamut alongside Oled pixel control and latest processing is something to behold.

I have last year Pana oled and can’t believe my eyes at the picture I am getting. Sd is unwatchable, hd is superb and 4k streaming is incredible...4k via uhd disk is paradise...
Hdr changes everything and very available via amazon prime and Netflix.

Let’s be clear, my reference picture was plasma VT and I can tell you that Pana oled gave me that and more...
Picture is so natural...pana Natural and I strongly suggest to keep it (LG c9 is a good one too with hdmi 2.1 on top)

You have to watch oled and take some precautions but it is worth it especially at current low prices (buy between now and end of q1 2020 for lowest prices).

The Sony lcd is superb but oled price is nearly similar which really kills any lcd benefits (unless you worry too much about burn in).

I wouldn't be in any rush to buy into HDR. It's got ambitious targets for the level of contrast and the colour space and TVs are likely to be improving towards them for a decade or two.

Plus the number of productions made in HDR at the moment is miniscule.

HDR is good on a high end set on those rare occasions it's usable but I wouldn't be in any hurry to ditch a newish TV like yours for it. GIve it another five or ten years to get into full swing.

I wouldn't be in any rush to buy into HDR. It's got ambitious targets for the level of contrast and the colour space and TVs are likely to be improving towards them for a decade or two.

Plus the number of productions made in HDR at the moment is miniscule.

HDR is good on a high end set on those rare occasions it's usable but I wouldn't be in any hurry to ditch a newish TV like yours for it. GIve it another five or ten years to get into full swing.
Nobody is arguing the fact the tv is still good for the next 3-5 years.
However, the combination of descent prices plus oled plus 4k plus hdr plus wider color gamut is a more than justifiable reason to jump with more than enough content...(hdmi 2.1 widely also by 2020).

More than enough content? The occasional nature series or major sporting event are about the only normal programs that get broadcast in HDR.

Films are about the only area where there's a reasonable amount of HDR stuff, and some foreign dramas support it too.

I don't know if the lists of the most watched TV programs of 2019 have been posted yet but I'd happily bet you that 95% of them aren't available in HDR.

More than enough content? The occasional nature series or major sporting event are about the only normal programs that get broadcast in HDR.

Films are about the only area where there's a reasonable amount of HDR stuff, and some foreign dramas support it too.

I don't know if the lists of the most watched TV programs of 2019 have been posted yet but I'd happily bet you that 95% of them aren't available in HDR.
Please read my last post. Hdr is just one element to consider. Our friend here asked a simple question. Yes, he can till keep his tv for 3-5 years most probably. But, the jump I have experienced via oled and 4k/hdr/WCG made me speechless.

Like you, I believed there was not enough content to enjoy my 4k oled. Turns out, the opposite with amazon and Netflix (not on iTunes yet). Even hd/blu ray is a joy to rewatch on my Pana oled.

Back to our friend question here, reflecting on it, i will recommend waiting a year for all the TVs to have hdmi 2.1 (just because he can)

Like you, I believed there was not enough content to enjoy my 4k oled. Turns out, the opposite with amazon and Netflix (not on iTunes yet). Even hd/blu ray is a joy to rewatch on my Pana oled.

I'm speaking from a position of experience rather than belief. We also own a 4K OLED and while it was worth buying to replace an old TV I'd have been pretty disappointed with the purchase if I'd have had a good recent TV.

We do have a Netflix subscription as it's pretty good for foreign drama even if their British output is abysmal, although it isn't the HDR package. However, scanning down lists of Netflix HDR titles virtually nothing I've watched on there recently is available in HDR.

The TV goes into HDR mode maybe every three or four months. In this situation I'd be waiting until it's at least every other day.

Thanks for your opinion guys. I decided to keep it for a while until I will find a decent price cut for the GZ950.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom