• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Upgrade from Onkyo tx-sr308 or not??

yandybox

Distinguished Member
I'm wondering if anyone has had a similar problem, I currently have an onkyo tx-sr308, and tbh I'm fairly happy with it. But in the middle of upgrading speakers I thought about upgrading the receiver. The one in question Onkyo tx-nr616 (or even the 515)

The benefits would be the 2 hdmi outputs and the upgrade to 7.2 but want I really would like to know is am I going to get a big jump in sound quality. Has anybody had both and compared?

I know the reputation of the 616 but I would need a receiver with 2 hdmi outputs and 7.1 (7.2) so if anyone knows of one which would see an improvement over my 308, im all for other options.

The speakers im upgrading with atm I have Cambridge Audio s30s standmounts and s50 centre. The rest are to follow, unsure on rears but probably a bk gemini 2 sub.

PSM1

Distinguished Member
So you are upgrading to the CA speakers? The 616 should give you a noticeable improvement but could give more with better speakers. You could also look at the Sony 1030 but could also listen to the Denon 2113 or Yamaha 673.

yandybox

Distinguished Member
Thanks but none of these have 2 hdmi outputs (needed for projector).

The 673 is what I would prefer but losing the output has put me off. Maybe I need to get a hdmi switch rather than settle for the "risky" 616.

Also, what speakers would you recommend to match the 616 if that is the route I went? The CA s30s were given 5 star reviews and are noticeably better than my budget onkyos.

Last edited:

yandybox

Distinguished Member
Just for anyone who is interested I have narrowed it down to either the Onkyo tx-nr515 (£229) or the Yamaha rxv773 (£499) which both have what I need and are fairly spaced apart price/budget wise. Now need to hope RS can setup a tester of the two to get an idea if I'm wasting extra money on the Yamaha or saving it with the 515.

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom