Upgrade from Onkyo HT R380

shandypants5

Hello all
my old Onkyo ht r380 is beginning to play up, and stops playing sound from all speakers occasionally.
I suspect it’s a relay problem as “bumping“ the unit or clicking on/off fixes it for a couple of days.

I am looking for a replacement but I have no idea what’s good or not these days.

I am still using the Onkyo passive sub and I have changed the surrounds and Center speakers for tannoy Mercurys

any recommendations or information gratefully received.

gibbsy

You will need a new AV amp and a new powered sub. You will not be able to use the Onkyo sub with a modern standalone AVR.

Budget?

D

Deleted member 39241

It does depend on how much you want to spend.

What are you using as your front left and right speakers?

The passive sub will not work with a modern AVR, unless you use a separate power amp for it, which will get complicated and increase the cost, so replacing it with an active sub would be the usual solution.

shandypants5

I have 4 bookshelf size tannoy Mercurys and a tannoy Mercury Center

i would like so stay as far under £500 as I can including a new sub.
is that realistic ?

D

Deleted member 39241

I have 4 bookshelf size tannoy Mercurys and a tannoy Mercury Center

i would like so stay as far under £500 as I can including a new sub.
is that realistic ?
Maybe, just as long as your expectations aren't too high, as that is very entry level.

Here is the AVR for £399:

Which leaves £100 for a subwoofer, entry level one is £29 over budget:

This one would be better for the same money:

gibbsy

You are going to struggle at £500 for both. Receivers are problematic to source at the moment as well, even the one I suggest is on back order. You can get subs for below £200 so your budget is not far off with these two items.

shandypants5

Thanks both
i will take a look at your links.

I am not expecting miracles at that price range but my onkyo was entry level when I bought it 11 years ago And I have been happy with the sound so far.

D

Deleted member 39241

It looks like both gibbsy and I have recommended you the same AVR, I have one of these in the bedroom, and it does have a lot of features and I have not noticed any bugs or issues. It's limitations are in regard to limited power output, and it is not great at reproducing 2 channel music.

With regard to the subwoofers, more is better, in terms of driver size and power. The Yamaha one has an 8 inch woofer and 50 watts of power, the Wharfedale one has a 10 inch driver and 150 watts of power. There are plenty of other options to choose from of course.

shandypants5

It looks like both gibbsy and I have recommended you the same AVR, I have one of these in the bedroom, and it does have a lot of features and I have not noticed any bugs or issues. It's limitations are in regard to limited power output, and it is not great at reproducing 2 channel music.

With regard to the subwoofers, more is better, in terms of driver size and power. The Yamaha one has an 8 inch woofer and 50 watts of power, the Wharfedale one has a 10 inch driver and 150 watts of power. There are plenty of other options to choose from of course.
Thanks.
that amp looks good to me, it’s to provide sound for my projector and would never be used for stereo music.

I didn’t realise active subs had so many features. i notice the wharfdale one has line in/out sockets and speaker level monitor inputs?

would the cables to my surround now have to pass through the sub ?
or would they stay as they are fed directly from the av amp.

D

Deleted member 39241

Thanks.
that amp looks good to me, it’s to provide sound for my projector and would never be used for stereo music.

I didn’t realise active subs had so many features. i notice the wharfdale one has line in/out sockets and speaker level monitor inputs?

would the cables to my surround now have to pass through the sub ?
or would they stay as they are fed directly from the av amp.
You can just use the low level input which is a single RCA lead, and connect it to the subwoofer pre-out on the AVR.

The AVR will then do all of the bass management.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: REL T/9x Subwoofer + Bowers & Wilkins PI7 Reviews, AV Shows in a Pandemic and more
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom