• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Upgrade from Onkyo 828 for 4K

eddscott

Established Member
So I've just purchased a 4K TV and I understand that my 828 can pass through 4K but not upscale.

I don't really know if this is an issue for me and whether it's time for a new receiver. I have no issues with the 828. I have Quad Lites hooked up to it which again, have no issues.

I will be using UHD streaming services but will probably use the TVs apps. Would I need to change the receiver if I want to watch UHD blurays on a 4K player?

Nayfne

Distinguished Member
So I've just purchased a 4K TV and I understand that my 828 can pass through 4K but not upscale.

I don't really know if this is an issue for me and whether it's time for a new receiver. I have no issues with the 828. I have Quad Lites hooked up to it which again, have no issues.

I will be using UHD streaming services but will probably use the TVs apps. Would I need to change the receiver if I want to watch UHD blurays on a 4K player?
If you are happy with the onkyo and current setup then the easiest option would be to get a 4k uhd player with dual hdmi outputs, one for audio into the onkyo and the other direct to your display for Picture.

eddscott

Established Member
That's good to know. I am planning to get the Sony UBP-X800. The manual shows it has two HDMI outputs, one specifically for audio only to non 4K receivers.

Thank you!

Nayfne

Distinguished Member
That's good to know. I am planning to get the Sony UBP-X800. The manual shows it has two HDMI outputs, one specifically for audio only to non 4K receivers.

Thank you!
Should do the trick perfectly, enjoy.

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom