Pioneer vsx-921 (to be upgraded next)
Monitor audio lcr 225,
Monitor audio rear r90 + r45
Ma rsw 12 sub
Optoma hd131x pj
Lg55 650v I think.
Panasonic bluray
Apple TV

So what would be my next move for speakers, it needs to be a gradual upgrade as funds allow, wall mountable as there's no room for floor standers. It's currently in a lounge that's 3.2m wide 4.3m long. Everything fires across the width of the room.
I do play music so a reasonable performance would be good as I find my pioneer lacking in that area compared to the denon avr3805 it replaced.

Would something like Miller kreisel lcr 55mk2 be considered a step up? I'm sure anything from mk will out perform what I have currently for movies but not so sure about music.
Suppose I could just use my sonos play 5 for music.

I would consider the XTZ cinema M6 @ £599 each to be a substantial upgrade for both music and movies and can be wall mounted.

You could start with a pair and add a centre later when funds allow. These speakers are a revelation and are getting 10/10 reviews and offer performance not even equaled by some speakers costing £1000 or more each.

Epic Home Cinema Projectors

The avr would need replacing at some stage to get the best from them, I run mine from an Onkyo 818 which really make them sing, I have seen 818's used for around £400.

I just replaced my MK651's with the M6's and did not realise how bad the MK's were with music until I got the XTZ's they are streets ahead. TBH MA with a pio avr are a match made in hell as they are both bright sounding makes and I would find them very harsh when run together.

If you like the Radius then the Apex or Shadow ranges from MA would be worth a look.

What about Monitor Audio's own Apex?

Have toyed with the ma apex, but I think I want a more serious cinema speaker. I'm going to avoid the style packages where compromises have been made.
I was looking at the xtz thread earlier and they are very interesting although don't seem to be so available.
I don't mind used either if it means I can get better for lower cost.

What do you mean the xtz's "don't seem to be so available" Jag at Epic is teh UK distributor and has stock and demo facilities if you can get there.

Get a demo of the KEF LS50's as they will do a stunning job with both movies and music

Get a demo of the KEF LS50's as they will do a stunning job with both movies and music
Yes very nice, and I'm sure would also be good with music too, unfortunately don't meet the requisite wall mounting.

What do you mean the xtz's "don't seem to be so available" Jag at Epic is teh UK distributor and has stock and demo facilities if you can get there.
Iv been on epic website, just doing a Google search didn't bring up many options .
Do xtz make any other good cinema speakers?

I am in exactly the same predicament as yourself as I have MA Radius speakers and I would love to upgrade. After loads of research I had set my heart on MK Sound MP7s as they fitted my spec of wall mount and good price but also a big step up. The alternatives were the MK Sound MP150s and the KK Quatros which were both out of my price range. Then along came the XTZ Cinema series to put the cat among the pigeons. I think price is still going to push me back to the MP7s but I would love to find the extra cash to stretch to the XTZ. You really need to get out and try some of these as they leave all the alternatives way behind.

XTZ have been around for quite a few years and all there speakers are very good quality and offer exceptional performance at very competitive prices.The cinema series are the first that has been made specifically for home theatre use although other speakers from their range can also be used.

I would contact Jag if you require further info he is a member on here and has superb demo facilities near Slough. a google for XTZ speakers should bring up plenty of info, there has been xtz threads on these forums for years so I don't know why you are having difficulty finding info.

Below is their own site in sweden showing all their range, Jag stocks some of them but not all but can get any of the range if required.

overview

The 93.21 is wall mountable and a cheaper alternative but lower down the range from the M6's which are the pinnacle of their range for cinema and movie reproduction.

I am in exactly the same predicament as yourself as I have MA Radius speakers and I would love to upgrade. After loads of research I had set my heart on MK Sound MP7s as they fitted my spec of wall mount and good price but also a big step up. The alternatives were the MK Sound MP150s and the KK Quatros which were both out of my price range. Then along came the XTZ Cinema series to put the cat among the pigeons. I think price is still going to push me back to the MP7s but I would love to find the extra cash to stretch to the XTZ. You really need to get out and try some of these as they leave all the alternatives way behind.

Yeah I to keep looking in the classifieds at mk and thought that might be the direction id go. Cost is a big factor for me too and a gradual upgrade would be better for me, those xtz do look very nice and at £600 are probably a little expensive but cheap enough to possibly stretch to, the only other thing will be if I can pick something decent up used.
I think my whole system is in need of change and I have threads on each area of upgrade.
I'm still torn where to make changes first though, I still think the receiver needs to go. As mentioned before they are a bright paring ma and pioneer, and when the volume is pushed it becomes harsh.

XTZ have been around for quite a few years and all there speakers are very good quality and offer exceptional performance at very competitive prices.The cinema series are the first that has been made specifically for home theatre use although other speakers from their range can also be used.

I would contact Jag if you require further info he is a member on here and has superb demo facilities near Slough. a google for XTZ speakers should bring up plenty of info, there has been xtz threads on these forums for years so I don't know why you are having difficulty finding info.

Below is their own site in sweden showing all their range, Jag stocks some of them but not all but can get any of the range if required.

overview
Sorry I meant there wasn't a wealth of dealers as say ma have to choose from.
The first I'd really seen of them was on this forum, as with bk subwoofers and svs. So shows what I know hey. All these years reading what hifi.
Thanks for all the advise so far, certainly making me think about other options.
Are the ma apex really that much better than the radius? And how do they compare to xtz and mk?

The XTZ Cinema are similar in design to the Ken Kreisel Q125 speakers but at a much better price (Ken Kreisel previously the K in M&K) there is a KK Q125 owner (the dude) on here who upgraded from the Apex 40's and finds them much better so that should give you an idea how they compare to the radius. I reckon you would be talking 2-3 levels up minimum from the radius to the XTZ M6.

As regards to how XTZ M6 compare to MK they are on a par for movies compared to the £1000 per speaker S150/MP150 MKII's and the XTZ are better for music IMO.The lower range MK's are pretty good with movies but not great for music, like I found with my mid range MK 651's (similar to MK 55's).

If the M6's are a stretch but doable go for it as IMV there is nothing to touch them for movies & music unless you spend a lot more money.

I've heard the XTZ's, the MK's and my Apex. Whilst not as good as either of the more Cinema orientated sealed design speakers mentioned I still highly rate the Apex. Add in integrated wall brackets that swivel up down and left and right and they are a good all rounder. Mine play at reference no problem and are very clean sounding. They do come up used too.

The Radius are a good speaker too but do air on the side of a brighter sound so I imagine coupled with the Pioneer would be too much. Something like an Anthem or XT32 equipped receiver coupled with the Radius will be an improvement I'm sure.

If buying new speakers then it would be XTZ all the way. They are the same price as the Apex A40's so it's a no brainer. Just my opinion of course.

Yes very nice, and I'm sure would also be good with music too, unfortunately don't meet the requisite wall mounting.
I have a couple of customers who have wall mounted them plus there is always the option of shelves

Last edited:
I've heard the XTZ's, the MK's and my Apex. Whilst not as good as either of the more Cinema orientated sealed design speakers mentioned I still highly rate the Apex. Add in integrated wall brackets that swivel up down and left and right and they are a good all rounder. Mine play at reference no problem and are very clean sounding. They do come up used too.

The Radius are a good speaker too but do air on the side of a brighter sound so I imagine coupled with the Pioneer would be too much. Something like an Anthem or XT32 equipped receiver coupled with the Radius will be an improvement I'm sure.

If buying new speakers then it would be XTZ all the way. They are the same price as the Apex A40's so it's a no brainer. Just my opinion of course.
Maybe I shouldn't rule out the apex range, I thought they were similar to the radius range. Low level listening my setup is ok, but push towards reference and it's unbearably harsh and strained.
I think a new amp will be my first upgrade followed by the speakers. Upgrading to apex would certainly be easier with them being of the same brand and could mix easily.

There is a massive thread over on whathifi on the Apex if you fancy a nights reading.

Maybe I shouldn't rule out the apex range, I thought they were similar to the radius range. Low level listening my setup is ok, but push towards reference and it's unbearably harsh and strained.
I think a new amp will be my first upgrade followed by the speakers. Upgrading to apex would certainly be easier with them being of the same brand and could mix easily.
Go for three Apex A40's across the front and keep your radius as rears.

The amp will need to change first for musical performance though.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom