Upgrade from Monitor Audio BX2

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Speakers' started by Riff, Dec 18, 2017.

1. Riff

Riff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi guys,

I've learned an awful lot roaming around these forums, but now I'd like some help.

My Monitor Audio BX2 speakers don't suit me anymore. I loved them in my old bedroom where they had a deep sound and didn't sound harsh, contrary to popular opinion about Monitor Audio speakers.

Now at my new house, placed in an open plan living-/dining-/kitchen room of about 4.8m x 12.5m, I find them more and more fatiguing.

I like all sorts of genres. From the more mainstream Lamb or James Blake, to 70's rock, but most of all anything doom/noise/hardcore/sludge/metal/... So I'd like speakers that can go deep, but don't sound harsh at all.

Do you guys think I could get what I want to achieve with any of these?

- MA RX2 (8" speaker which might suit my room better)
    - JBL Studio 280 (not the most refined, but apparently suited to many genres and pretty easy to listen to)
    - XTZ Spirit 11 (hopefully ticks all the boxes?)

Second hand preferably, so asking in advance as not to bother too many sellers...

Any advice is appreciated.

2. Paul7777x

Paul7777x

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,130
    The fatiguing bit may be because of the lack of perceived bass in the much larger room.

Floorstanders might well suit that sized room a lot better.

These would certainly have a lot of clout and they’ll keep the house sound you enjoy. Could use a little work on the cabinet top, but a magic sponge and a bit of furniture dye would have them looking new.

Monitor Audio Speakers - two 8i meter high Excellent condition | eBay

Or these for a larger cash outlay.

Monitor Audio Silver- RS8 HiFi Foorstanding Speakers - 175 W | eBay

It would help a bit to know your amp and budget too.

And, if you can stretch to it, and your amp is up to the job, these are a hell of a lot of speaker for the price.

RARE MONITOR AUDIO GOLD REFERENCE 60 FLOOR STANDING SPEAKERS in V.G.C. | eBay

Last edited: Dec 18, 2017
  3. kj01

kj01
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Talking of floorstanders, these seem to me to be excellent in this demo:

SVS Prime Tower Speakers Sound Demo (Rock)

Try comparing with the other demos from the same guy (of various different speakers and playing several musical genres).

They seem excellent value for money too, but I doubt you'll find any second-hand (in fact, you'll be lucky to find them new!)

4. Riff

Riff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks for your replies.

My amp is a Yamaha R-N602. The XTZ's are €850, which is about my budget.

I'll check for some MA Silver floorstanders then and have a listen. Haven't come up with much when searching for SVS around where I live.

5. dogfonos

dogfonos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +302
    I'd agree that's almost certainly the main factor at play here. Room furnishings/fittings can also make a real big difference to sound quality too. Usually, a bedroom contains considerable soft furnishings (er, the bed for a start) whereas kitchen/diner/living spaces typically contain harder surfaces which are acoustically reflective so more higher frequencies reach the ear.

I have to say that there are some indoor spaces which are very difficult for any speaker to sound good in - my kitchen/diner for a start. These are rooms with significant reverberation times. Large rooms with reflective surfaces tend to be the worst culprits. Try the 'clap test' (!) to get an idea how good or bad the reverberation is:

Reverberation and absorption

Reverberation Time Calculation

Something may need to be done about reverberation (either physically or electronically) before anything approaching decent audio can be achieved.

Most probably. For such a large space, I'd suggest a pair of speakers with 8" bass (or bass/mid) drivers as a minimum so speakers with two 6.5" bass or bass/mid drivers per cabinet should be fine.