Upgrade from Mission 753's

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by RICK67, Apr 30, 2007.

1. RICK67

RICK67
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I posted on these forums a while back regarding the suitability of using PMC speakers with my Arcam A8/P7. However, funds had to go elsewhere, but now the search for speakers is back on.

I currently have Mission 753’s (not Freedom) and wish to upgrade. Music is probably more important than home cinema, so a decent front stereo pair is a must – but I obviously want to add a centre and rears.

I have narrowed it down the following contenders

B&W CM7
    PMC GB1
    B&W805’s

Will these all be an improvement over my 753’s ?

Also bearing in mind the law of diminishing returns, if the improvement is sound quality could warrant over double the cost, I could stretch to the new Wilson Benesch Square 2 or BMW 804S. However, for the price of these front pairs I could get a complete 5.1 package of B&W CM’s or PMC GB’s….???

How do you all rate the above speakers. Any comments/advice or other recommendations would be welcome

Cheers

2. kidloco46

kidloco46

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    I would try and arrange a demo, if you liked the sound of the 753's I dont think you will be to keen on the B&W, but have a listen a see what you think. I think the Monitor Audio GS60 might fall into your price range which are defo worth a demo also

3. RICK67

RICK67
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

I have a demo arranged in a couple of weeks and will also see if I can hear the Monitor Audios. How would you say that the Mission sound differs from the B&W ?

4. RICK67

RICK67
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does anyone own or has heard the B&W CM7's as I'd be very interested to hear peoples opions on this model.

5. RICK67

RICK67
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    bump

6. Helicon

Helicon
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +261
    If the CM1's are anything to go by, they won't be keeping up with the competition.

7. kidloco46

kidloco46

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31

Well the B&Ws i had, the CDM1, were far more laid back then the missions, the 753 have a loverly snappy taut bass, B&W can sound overblown and un controlled. also that range of mission had a very sharp and detailed treble, by comparrison the B&W is so much softer.

I really tried to get on with my CDM1, but in the end I sold them after a couple of months, they just didnt do it for me at all. loving my Montiro Audio GS10s though. same kind of sound characteristics as the classic missions, just so much better in every respect.