Upgrade from Mission 752F.

BrianPK

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking of upgrading my 13 year old Mission 752F. speakers which are used solely for listening to classical music.My cd player is a Primare D30.2 and four TagMcLaren 125M mono blocks are controlled by an original Audiolab 8000Q pre amp.My listening room is a very modest 12'x12' and I'm sitting about 6.5 to 7 feet away. The speakers are about 6' apart. My budget will (hopefully) be up to £1600 approx. I think that my Missions sound splendid but I'm told that I could get a superior sound with better speakers.To justify this outlay I would obviously need to hear a worthwhile improvement. Suggestions gratefully received.:)

I take it you're not looking to replace your electronics? I think if they're all working fine then you probably don't need to as long as you just want to keep enjoying your music and not diverge into home cinema etc.

There are quite a few speakers to choose from at £1,600 and I would guess that you want to stick to floorstanders? I've heard very few of these, so my opinions are more based on reading around a lot and hearing related speakers.
PMC GB1i - usually regarded as very honest, surprisingly deep-reaching speakers; true to the original recording as you'd expect from a monitor speaker.
Focal 836 - very clear vocal speakers, capable of plenty of bass too.
KEF R700 (slightly above budget)
B&W CM9 (slightly above budget)
Acoustic Energy Radiance 3 (below budget)
XTZ 99.36 (below budget, but sometimes compared to the Monitor Audio GX and sometimes PL range)

You could of course look at standmounts as well, there are some very capable choices around.
Monitor Audio GX100
Dali Mentor 1

To be honest it probably comes down to which brand's sound you prefer, so I'd suggest just going and listening to some alternatives and seeing what best suits your ears. From a purely personal point of view, I'd say listen to PMC and Focal, and definitely read around about the XTZ's.

Thanks for your suggestions. As I have a reasonable surround sound set up in another room these speakers are simply for music listening and I'm quite satisfied with my amps etc. The PMC GB1i especially seem a promising possibility.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom