Upgrade from MA Bronze to Silver?

£67! my atmos grills from them were £22 for the set of 2. I'm really surprised by that.
Guessing the Atmos grills aren't magnetic and will certainly be smaller in size than the C350 grille. I agree though £67 is a lot though!

I should be getting the S200 this weekend, once they're all in, it'll give me a better idea of how to make them fit in with the room. I think size wise they should be pretty acceptable for our room.

Heard back from MA, a grille is £67, seems a little expensive, especially as I probably won't use it soight just keep an eye on eBay or classifieds for now.

You should have gone for the S300 - their 3 way design would have perfectly matched the c350. The 3 way design for me was the biggest upgrade over my Bronze speakers and you don't want that nagging feeling at night...that itch that you can't scratch...trust me 😅

You should have gone for the S300 - their 3 way design would have perfectly matched the c350. The 3 way design for me was the biggest upgrade over my Bronze speakers and you don't want that nagging feeling at night...that itch that you can't scratch...trust me 😅
That's definitely not the advise I'm looking for at this stage now I've bought them!
If I was buying new I would have considered them for the relatively marginal uplift in cost against the S200. However having found the 200s for a very reasonable price, I'm happy to give it a go.

But I do get what you are saying, having now heard what the true 3 way of the C350 provides I think I would have been disappointed with the C150 like the others warned.

I do generally listen to music in surround rather than stereo anyway, so I hope the 200s will be a nice balance of quality, size and cost.

A quick update, I now have the S200s, C350 and FXs in place.
As expected, the least amount of difference seems to be with the FX though I have yet to run Audyssey or watch a film.
With regards to the front speakers- wow what a difference is my initial observation. Almost like going from AM to DAB radio.
I had the C350 in first and was a little concerned that the 200s would give the range being 2.5 way vs 3 way of the centre. To me they feel like a perfect fit.
Music in stereo sounds awesome even with the sub off, way more sound than I expected from relatively small floorstanders!

Once I've put the living room back together, run Audyssey etc, I'll post a pic and update.

A quick update, I now have the S200s, C350 and FXs in place.
As expected, the least amount of difference seems to be with the FX though I have yet to run Audyssey or watch a film.
With regards to the front speakers- wow what a difference is my initial observation. Almost like going from AM to DAB radio.
I had the C350 in first and was a little concerned that the 200s would give the range being 2.5 way vs 3 way of the centre. To me they feel like a perfect fit.
Music in stereo sounds awesome even with the sub off, way more sound than I expected from relatively small floorstanders!

Once I've put the living room back together, run Audyssey etc, I'll post a pic and update.
Hate to say I told you so! 😂😉 But reading this post made me smile! Having done this upgrade path myself I had a strong inkling you'd find it pleasing to the ear.

Ironically, I went from Bronze 5 floorstanders (5th Gen) to the Silver 100 (standmount) - so the opposite speaker type to you. The result though was the same. I'm genuinely astounded by the level of bass that my 100's produce (without the aid of a sub). The monolith you have will blend beautifully with the 200's - once Audyssey has done its stuff.

Looking forward to seeing the pictures!

P.S still wondering about getting the 300's myself. Will keep you updated on that!

Hate to say I told you so! 😂😉 But reading this post made me smile! Having done this upgrade path myself I had a strong inkling you'd find it pleasing to the ear.

Ironically, I went from Bronze 5 floorstanders (5th Gen) to the Silver 100 (standmount) - so the opposite speaker type to you. The result though was the same. I'm genuinely astounded by the level of bass that my 100's produce (without the aid of a sub). The monolith you have will blend beautifully with the 200's - once Audyssey has done its stuff.

Looking forward to seeing the pictures!

P.S still wondering about getting the 300's myself. Will keep you updated on that!
I can't imagine needing the 300s, but a year ago I wouldn't have believed I'd be upgrading so soon!

Well after a week with the C350, S200 and Silver FX all installed, I'm still experimenting with the setup but generally it's performing very well, it's definitely provided what I felt was missing and glad I took the advice of those who recommended the C350, though I haven't heard the silver C150 I do think I would have been left with that 'what if' feeling.

With regards to the 200's they definitely fill the missing midrange Vs the bronzes and I can comfortably listen to music in Stereo and feel like I'm not missing out, so again a worth upgrade on the Bronze 2s, and as everyone said, the finish and design is impeccable. For me the aesthetics are an important part, in fact I originally nearly went for the Q acoustics based in part on their looks. But back to the MA, just things like the magnetic grilles and not having the holes in the speaker make a massive difference over brands that use a friction fit, and the dished cones.
The walnut colour is a little more red than I would like but like @Jester1066 said, now all speakers are matching it doesn't stand out so much.
Having heard what these speakers are capable of in the lower range in pains me to do it, but to reduce some boominess, I have set crossover higher to let the sub pick up the low end. I'll probably experiment further with placement and drop the crossover lower if I can.

The FXs are as I mentioned, the least different, but possibly because I had the 6G FX bronze whereas all the other Bronze are 5G. The only difference I could really not is the silvers seemed a tiny bit clearer and would handle higher volume better than the bronze. For anyone on a budget that might be weighing up silver FX vs Bronze, I would say this is the area where you could probably save a few pounds.

Having shopped around and buying used, the setup has worked out at around half the price of brand new.

Another thing I've also done in rearranging my setup, is finally spent some time setting up my Harmony Elite remote that I bought a few months back and initially gave up on.
The configuration software is absolutely terrible, but with perseverance I now have it working pretty much as I wanted.

Overall, despite the new speakers being bigger, I think the new setup is less imposing. I've been working to blend the C350 in especially due to its size and though its not in the perfect location I have worked to isolate it and played around with the position to compare with placement in open space and the difference is barely noticeable.
I've also created a grille to put in place for times when extra protection is required!

Thanks again to all those who provided advice and hopefully this thread proves useful to anyone considering a similar upgrade in future. Photos below with and without grille (this is still a work in progress, along with patching up the walls)
IMG_20210416_133024.jpg
IMG_20210416_133007.jpg

Last edited:
Overall, despite the new speakers being bigger, I think the new setup is less imposing. I've been working to blend the C350 in especially due to its size and though its not in the perfect location I have worked to isolate it and played around with the position to compare with placement in open space and the difference is barely noticeable.
I've also created a grille to put in place for times when extra protection is required!
Setup Definitely looks cleaner. I'd imagine your stereo imaging has improved considerably with placement as it is now. Very ingenious way to accommodate the C350 too. I think the reason the c350 work so well (in a "not perfect" placement) is two fold:

1. The 3 way design give wider dispersion.
2. It's a really well designed sealed cabinet.

That custom grille is fabulous - nice bit of DIY that's saved a few bob. Have you thought about spraying it the same colour as the cabinet fronts? (Just so it blends in a bit more).

Is the unit an IKEA besta? I might be tempted to look at their tempered glass tops for above the centre speaker. Your wife could then add some more plants/ornaments on top of the speaker! 😉😂

Overall though I can see why you're pleased with the changes. Dare I say you've created some useful space for a nice bit of matching shelving around the TV now!

Edit: some bias LED lighting around the TV will be a nice touch too imo....

Last edited:
Setup Definitely looks cleaner. I'd imagine your stereo imaging has improved considerably with placement as it is now. Very ingenious way to accommodate the C350 too. I think the reason the c350 work so well (in a "not perfect" placement) is two fold:

That custom grille is fabulous - nice bit of DIY that's saved a few bob. Have you thought about spraying it the same colour as the cabinet fronts? (Just so it blends in a bit more).

Is the unit an IKEA besta? I might be tempted to look at their tempered glass tops for above the centre speaker. Your wife could then add some more plants/ornaments on top of the speaker! 😉😂

Overall though I can see why you're pleased with the changes. Dare I say you've created some useful space for a nice bit of matching shelving around the TV now!
Yes stereo imaging is very good now on axis.

The C350 is almost a perfect fit between the two TV units. They are actually cheapo ones from made.com that I added the legs to. Though it's placement is not ideal. I'm still experimenting, and also in fairness to the bronze a bit here, all their replacements are better placed than they were.

I had looked at using grey speaker cloth instead of black but for one it's harder to come by, and I thought I would try the concept out with black first to see how it looks. I might replace with grey, still experimenting with that.

I can't imagine needing the 300s, but a year ago I wouldn't have believed I'd be upgrading so soon!

Well after a week with the C350, S200 and Silver FX all installed, I'm still experimenting with the setup but generally it's performing very well, it's definitely provided what I felt was missing and glad I took the advice of those who recommended the C350, though I haven't heard the silver C150 I do think I would have been left with that 'what if' feeling.

With regards to the 200's they definitely fill the missing midrange Vs the bronzes and I can comfortably listen to music in Stereo and feel like I'm not missing out, so again a worth upgrade on the Bronze 2s, and as everyone said, the finish and design is impeccable. For me the aesthetics are an important part, in fact I originally nearly went for the Q acoustics based in part on their looks. But back to the MA, just things like the magnetic grilles and not having the holes in the speaker make a massive difference over brands that use a friction fit, and the dished cones.
The walnut colour is a little more red than I would like but like @Jester1066 said, now all speakers are matching it doesn't stand out so much.
Having heard what these speakers are capable of in the lower range in pains me to do it, but to reduce some boominess, I have set crossover higher to let the sub pick up the low end. I'll probably experiment further with placement and drop the crossover lower if I can.

The FXs are as I mentioned, the least different, but possibly because I had the 6G FX bronze whereas all the other Bronze are 5G. The only difference I could really not is the silvers seemed a tiny bit clearer and would handle higher volume better than the bronze. For anyone on a budget that might be weighing up silver FX vs Bronze, I would say this is the area where you could probably save a few pounds.

Having shopped around and buying used, the setup has worked out at around half the price of brand new.

Another thing I've also done in rearranging my setup, is finally spent some time setting up my Harmony Elite remote that I bought a few months back and initially gave up on.
The configuration software is absolutely terrible, but with perseverance I now have it working pretty much as I wanted.

Thanks again to all those who provided advice and hopefully this thread proves useful to anyone considering a similar upgrade in future. Photos below with and without grille (this is still a work in progress, along with patching up the walls)
View attachment 1495887View attachment 1495888

Money well spent then! Center channel should be bit higher in the free air, but understandable if you have to make the compromise. Also larger tv / projector would be nice, but maybe in future. :)

Edit: some bias LED lighting around the TV will be a nice touch too imo....

It is a Phillips TV with ambilight so I do have that, like a lot of people say it's actually quite good rather than being annoying like I expected it to be!

@Gasp3621 yes it is a compromise, you can't tell from the pic but it's tilted up to the MLP. The aesthetics to quality ratio means its probably going to stay where it is, it's just such a lump sitting on the TV unit.
As for the TV it's a 65" so just about right though I would (and one day will do) go for a 75".
And yes, the centre at £300 alone was money well spent!

It is a Phillips TV with ambilight so I do have that, like a lot of people say it's actually quite good rather than being annoying like I expected it to be!

@Gasp3621 yes it is a compromise, you can't tell from the pic but it's tilted up to the MLP. The aesthetics to quality ratio means its probably going to stay where it is, it's just such a lump sitting on the TV unit.
As for the TV it's a 65" so just about right though I would (and one day will do) go for a 75".
And yes, the centre at £300 alone was money well spent!

Yep. Stefan who posted picture of white C350, S300 had the center channel just like you inside the cabinet. Then he raised it on top of unit and angled up. Sounds better now. But we do what we can..

Just looking your picture it feels you sit very far and 65" tv is so tiny when you can have +100" screen with a 2,5-3meter watching distance easily and feel like you are in cinema! For 4K tv below are the optimal watching distance, would 85" still fit in yours? 😁

65"5.4-8.1 feet
70"5.8-8.75 feet
75"6.3-9.4 feet
80"6.7-10 feet
85"7.1-10.6 feet

Yep. Stefan who posted picture of white C350, S300 had the center channel just like you inside the cabinet. Then he raised it on top of unit and angled up. Sounds better now. But we do what we can..

Just looking your picture it feels you sit very far and 65" tv is so tiny when you can have +100" screen with a 2,5-3meter watching distance easily and feel like you are in cinema! For 4K tv below are the optimal watching distance, would 85" still fit in yours? 😁

65"5.4-8.1 feet
70"5.8-8.75 feet
75"6.3-9.4 feet
80"6.7-10 feet
85"7.1-10.6 feet
Not ruling out changing the position, I'm constantly lifting it out, placing it on top, playing the same part of the same film and listening then swapping back again and honestly there is almost no difference. I also think that Audyssey XT32 does more than I ever realised.

The slowness of the APK almost makes it unusable for me, the graph is interesting but betlyond that I find myself reverting to the AVR.

With regards to the TV, not disagreeing, I could go larger and may do at some point! Though the image is taken in wide angle so makes the room look no&get than it is, 65" is definitely ample. Having said all that, an 80" would cover the marks left by the old speakers 😄

@Gasp3621 - You seem very keen on spending the OP's hard earned cash! 😂😂🤣🤣😉... Be interesting to know what your setup comprises of buddy? I tried to check your profile, but you've limited your profile so I see nothing 😂😂😂. Sharing is caring come on matey show us a pic of your setup 😉😊

@Gasp3621 - You seem very keen on spending the OP's hard earned cash! 😂😂🤣🤣😉... Be interesting to know what your setup comprises of buddy? I tried to check your profile, but you've limited your profile so I see nothing 😂😂😂. Sharing is caring come on matey show us a pic of your setup 😉😊

Nothing atm, just moved to own house. There is big list to buy/to do before can consider anything audio related. Thank god it´s summer soon so not issue really, as less on the couch then. But yeah the projector screen which i had in earlier flat was the biggest thing for me which gives you that real cinema feeling. I have a 64" tv too, but the experience is night and day different. The sooner people realize this the better. :) You know one can always have screen on ceiling which drops in front of tv via remote. Then can have both. Hopefully the ultra short throw projector prices come down in future, they are so easy to have on top of cabinet rather than all the trouble with ceiling mounting and hiding wires, uff!

The sooner people realize this the better. :) You know one can always have screen on ceiling which drops in front of tv via remote. Then can have both. Hopefully the ultra short throw projector prices come down in future, they are so easy to have on top of cabinet rather than all the trouble with ceiling mounting and hiding wires, uff!
Funny you should say this.... I have enough wall space to fit a 110" projector screen that will drop down in front of my current TV. I'm currently trying to convince/twist my OH's arm so I can do it! Fingers crossed, I think I might be wearing her down 🤣🤣🤣....

She started with a flat "No". We're now at:
"Go & speak to your "AV Husband" (Dave @Richersounds) and see if it's doable. I think she likes the idea it may cost less than a bigger TV would 😂

As the Borg say: "Resistance is futile"

Gonna speak to my local Richersounds and demo a few projectors etc....

Watch this space...

Funny you should say this.... I have enough wall space to fit a 110" projector screen that will drop down in front of my current TV. I'm currently trying to convince/twist my OH's arm so I can do it! Fingers crossed, I think I might be wearing her down 🤣🤣🤣....

She started with a flat "No". We're now at:
"Go & speak to your "AV Husband" (Dave @Richersounds) and see if it's doable. I think she likes the idea it may cost less than a bigger TV would 😂

As the Borg say: "Resistance is futile"

Gonna speak to my local Richersounds and demo a few projectors etc....

Watch this space...

Nice! It will be one of the best things to buy for movie/serie fan. I know OLED and QLED hype is strong, but most people can´t afford larger than 65" so there is massive difference to big screen. I had fixed screen 106" it looked like a big paint on wall with the frames. High quality sound system will always be big change but i still feel if one haven´t experienced big screen then he you are still at that living room as with the big screen when the lights go off it`s totally different feel closer to real cinema.

Check the projector section here at AVF too and maybe ask which models are best within your budget. Also pay attention how noisy the projector is. Now if i were to buy one i would gladly pay lot extra that it would be silent in ECO mode. Benq projectos aren´t really that.

Nice! It will be one of the best things to buy for movie/serie fan. I know OLED and QLED hype is strong, but most people can´t afford larger than 65" so there is massive difference to big screen. I had fixed screen 106" it looked like a big paint on wall with the frames. High quality sound system will always be big change but i still feel if one haven´t experienced big screen then he you are still at that living room as with the big screen when the lights go off it`s totally different feel closer to real cinema.

Check the projector section here at AVF too and maybe ask which models are best within your budget. Also pay attention how noisy the projector is. Now if i were to buy one i would gladly pay lot extra that it would be silent in ECO mode. Benq projectos aren´t really that.
Cheers mate. As soon as I've "assimilated" the OH into "Project Projector" - I'll be sure to start a thread in the relevant section on AVF! 🤣😂👍🏼

Haha, that's the next project all lined up for you then!
I did originally consider a projector, but in the end for a living room where is/ the kids are in and out it was just too much of a pain- time to raise lower screen/ projector on/off time/ projector noise/ daytime visibility (or having to close shutters during the day)/ contrast ratio/ aesthetics.

In a living room I'd personally keep with a large TV, but good point about having both, again for me personally aesthetics would probably make it a non starter, even with a UST model.

I did buy the Cheapo Optoma model from RS last year to but in a garden Room I built last year along with the old Onkyo system, so although not a top end system we do use it for family 'cinema evenings'.

For the money the Optoma is surprisingly good. Main downside is the rainbow effect, which is not too bad for films, but I've played the PS4 on it a couple of times and it can give you a bit of a headache at times.

Haha, that's the next project all lined up for you then!
I did originally consider a projector, but in the end for a living room where is/ the kids are in and out it was just too much of a pain- time to raise lower screen/ projector on/off time/ projector noise/ daytime visibility (or having to close shutters during the day)/ contrast ratio/ aesthetics.

In a living room I'd personally keep with a large TV, but good point about having both, again for me personally aesthetics would probably make it a non starter, even with a UST model.

I did buy the Cheapo Optoma model from RS last year to but in a garden Room I built last year along with the old Onkyo system, so although not a top end system we do use it for family 'cinema evenings'.

For the money the Optoma is surprisingly good. Main downside is the rainbow effect, which is not too bad for films, but I've played the PS4 on it a couple of times and it can give you a bit of a headache at times.

Future:

ThePremiere1000.jpg

@Gaz020 - Here's that promised update. I got the 300's in the end. Brand new, but heavily discounted - as the 7th Gen silvers were released. This is an older pic. Centre is now higher. But you get the idea:

received_1035176903910584.jpeg

Wow long time coming, it's almost been a year! Looking good, how do they sound?
Sound is absolutely fabulous (and seemless) across the front stage. Matching 3 way speakers has resulted in a hugely more expensive sound stage, particularly vocals when listening off-axis.

Once I knew the 7g's were being released, the decision to get the 300's was a "no brainer" in my book. It was also helped massively by the fact my OH actually preferred the bigger (but slimmer) 300's visually! Vs the 100's/stands combo. (These incidentally found a new home in the bedroom system!)

I now have a custom AV Cabinet too. As soon as I get a spare few hours, I plan to do a "build" thread for it.

I do agree on the floor standers. I think done with right finish to match the room (more important in a family living space than a dedicated cinema room I guess), floorstanders look much better than bookshelf speakers on stands.
It's also helped by the MA design, there are still speakers by other brands which I know will be great sounding but still carry a look from 20 years ago for me.

I'd be interested know how the 300s sound against the 200s that I have. Having said that, I think I'm happy enough not to go for another upgrade for now!

Good to hear you got it all as you wanted and well done on the timing, sounds like you had a bargain. Will be interested to read about the cabinet build.

I do agree on the floor standers. I think done with right finish to match the room (more important in a family living space than a dedicated cinema room I guess), floorstanders look much better than bookshelf speakers on stands.
It's also helped by the MA design, there are still speakers by other brands which I know will be great sounding but still carry a look from 20 years ago for me.

I'd be interested know how the 300s sound against the 200s that I have. Having said that, I think I'm happy enough not to go for another upgrade for now!

Good to hear you got it all as you wanted and well done on the timing, sounds like you had a bargain. Will be interested to read about the cabinet build.

I've heard the 200 and I own the 300's, personally I think the 300's for music were much better with a dedicated Midrand driver, the vocals sound more upfront, and clear, more bass control.
But for movies, I didn't really hear much difference at all, but I have owned different subs including x2, so this helps the 200's.

I used to own the old silver 1s 5th gen, I wanted these on stands but the wife preferred towers. So I bought the towers. The finish on the 6th gen is very impressive.

Sound is absolutely fabulous (and seemless) across the front stage. Matching 3 way speakers has resulted in a hugely more expensive sound stage, particularly vocals when listening off-axis.

Once I knew the 7g's were being released, the decision to get the 300's was a "no brainer" in my book. It was also helped massively by the fact my OH actually preferred the bigger (but slimmer) 300's visually! Vs the 100's/stands combo. (These incidentally found a new home in the bedroom system!)

I now have a custom AV Cabinet too. As soon as I get a spare few hours, I plan to do a "build" thread for it.

Great set-up, as above my wife also preferred the towers. Bonus. White though.

Try and toe-in your 300's they look to straight and flat.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom