Upgrade from MA Bronze 2 to Wharfedale evo 4.2 impressions

DazedandConfused

Novice Member
So this is my 1st post and I am a developing audiophile so bare with me. I have an Audiolab 6000a amplifier and have been using Monitor Audio Bronze 2s for years now for stereo. To play music I use a Marantz cd6006 cd player, Project debut carbon Esprit turntable and blutooth to the Amp from Tidal on my phone.
My room is carpeted and quite small with the speakers on stands in an equilateral triangle 4ft apart and 6ft from listening position.

I had been looking to upgrade from the Bronze 2s for a while and have been researching various speakers in the £500-£1000 range with all the usual suspects in this price bracket. The Bronzes are fantastic speakers with clear detail and good staging and stereo imaging. As a budding audiophile I have always wondered what more is there? And is it worth spending more despite being relatively happy with the set up. I do find that the Bronzes lack some depth and mid to low detail. I also feel there was something not there but wasn't sure what this was.
I had been hearing good things from the Wharfedale evo 4.2s and then saw a refurbished pair for £450 from Richer Sounds in their clearance sale so took the plunge, even though I had not trialled them.
The speakers arrived and in perfect condition.
I set them up in the same position as the Bronzes. I fired them up and...disappointment came over me.
Where was this wide soundstage, stereo imaging and upper range detail I had been hearing about? I was aware there was some burn in needed so I thought I would suck it up and hope for improvement. At this point I was think that the Bronzes sounded better. More detail and upper range clarity. There was more low end and mid range with the 4.2s although the clarity wasn't there. They also sounded boxed in and too warm for me.

I left them playing all day and then later that evening I sat down again.

I tweeked the positioning and brought them out slightly and moved them further apart to about 5.5ft. Placement is Key as there it was, the wide sound stage I was after. Seperation and depth that just wasn't there with the Bronzes.Then I adjusted the toe in and wow...holographic stereo imaging way more detailed and richer than the Bronzes. What I was now realising is that the Bronzes have good clarity in the upper range but it lacked the richness and sophistication of 4.2s. I then spent hours listening to all types of music and was truly blown away by how much of an improvement there was with all music over the Bronzes. On all songs and albums the holographic stereo image and wide soud stage was amazing. Separation of instruments with the main vocal or instrument fixed firmly in front of me.
I can't believe the step up from the Bronzes and how initially I was disappointed with the 4.2s.
If you are thinking of upgrading, do it. If you are thinking of 4.2s, do it. Just give them time and be aware they need some distance from each other and play around with toe in and you will not be disappointed.

gibbsy

It's often the case that new speakers disappoint on first listening, especially when bought blind. If you have speakers in place for a long time then your brain has got more than use to that sound and it's that grey matter than has to adjust to the new audio signature. Every time you move the new speakers around, which you have done, the old grey matter responds to those tweaks.

Now you are more than likely hearing the differences and that clarity of the Bronze may have been down to their treble response which I always found a little forward in the highs at the expense of the mid range.

We are all different so enjoy your new speakers.

DazedandConfused

Novice Member
Thanks. That's the conclusion I came to. I had planned on having a demo with various speakers but I couldn't resist the reduced cost of the Wharfedale's so took a shot having read the positive reviews. I'm glad I did and expect these will suit me for quite some time to come.

Alexornot

Novice Member
I'm happy to hear that someone finally loved this Wharfedales, I've read on other forums that a lot of people were disappointed with them and decided to give them back.
I have rather old Diamonds 10.1 and it took years to find the perfect setup (position, cables, jumpers and amplifier) and now they deliver fantastic music no matter what you throw in... I was thinking of upgrading them (after 12 years) with Evo 4.1 hoping the sound signature will be similar, but just better in every single way!
So thanks for sharing your experience!

Jaded1

I was thinking about getting a set from this range before I purchased the truly outstanding Revel Concerta M16 but so many people reported the same as you. Maybe they need a lot of burn in time? I was underwhelmed with The Revels but boy did they start to sing after a few hours. They are now hands down the best speakers I've heard under £2k. Don't the ill be changing my speakers for a good few years now.

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Which is the best decade for horror movies?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom