Question Upgrade from LG50PS3000 Plasma

slb000

Novice Member
Hi All,

Would appreciate opinions/thoughts on my plans to upgrade from a 50" LG50PS3000 plasma TV (2007) connected to Sky Q mini receiver (set at 1080p) via Denon X4100W amp.

I mainly watch (in order):

- 80% Sky sports HD Golf, Football & Tennis
- 10% Sky documentaries & the odd drama/series etc
- 10% Other HD channels (movies, Sky 1 HD, BBC HD etc) & the odd YouTube video

No plans for gaming and unlikely to watch much UHD in the short-mid term as I am using a Sky Q mini receiver (family TV is in the other room connected to main Sky Q box) and mainly watch Sky Sports HD hence tied to that output.

Distance is about 8-9ft away from the screen and directly in front (20-30 deg of movement max).

Budget of £3K max or less. Enough room for max 85" TV.

My thoughts are to get as a big a TV as I can (no point with a minor size upgrade) that will still display Sky Q HD at a good level.

Currently looking at the Samsung UE82NU8000 or UE75NU8000 but would appreciate any opinions/advice.

Angelo M

Consider that the Samsung TVs seems have problems with Sky Q 4K, in case in the future you will upgrade from Sky Q Mini. :)

Dodgexander

What kind of distance will you be viewing? do you view head on or at an angle? The big screen experience is nice but as you get bigger and with scaling on an UHD model you might find the picture quality isn't as good as on your Plasma.

Really with a big screen you want things to be the other way round, you'll want UHD on the larger screen and HD on the other screen.

slb000

Novice Member
Thanks for the reply.

Viewing distance is about 8-9ft away from the screen and typically directly in front as I’m the only one normally watching (but possibly up to 30 deg of movement max).

My dad has an LG 65” OLED Signature from 2017 which, in my view, makes Sky Q HD look good and 4K even better at a distance of around 8ft. Appreciate that is a flagship model but I was hopeful that at 75” or 82” HD quality wouldn’t drop so much that it would make it a poor experience at my distance. Appreciate SD will look worse, which I’m ok with as I mainly watch HD channels.

I guess what I’m trying to weigh up is whether it’s worth buying a big screen now (as I happen to have the money) to watch Sky HD now with a view that I may switch to their UHD later and enjoy the big screen experience now. I’d probably take a slight drop in quality vs a big screen but obviously not if it’s a bigger drop.

Dodgexander

Well you might be okay that far away from a 75" but HD broadcast TV tends not to be great quality and in my experience, looks noticeably worse on my 65" model...but its not so bad if I view far back.

Perhaps it would be a good idea to pick up the Hisense A series at 75", its a very respectable TV and can be had very cheap. For regular TV its more than enough, that is unless you want to use lots of motion options.

8-9ft away from a 75" you are on the edge of 1080p being the pinnacle of noticeable quality and that will be based on perfect scenarios and with higher quality media than broadcast TV.

I think you'll be okay, but wouldn't be expecting much from HD after my own experience with it, perhaps going 65" would be better?

Really if you can re-arrange stuff and can fit a very larger TV then you should go for the 86" Sony XF85 series but I wouldn't do that without Sky Q connected to it.

slb000

Novice Member
Thanks again. I take it you mean this Hisense model? Is it similar to the UE75NU8000 for watching HD sports as that's my main viewing? Sounds like anything over 75" will be too big a drop in broadcast HD quality but I may be OK with 75" as a compromise between size and quality at 8-9ft away.

65" is too small a screen uplift for me to buy a new TV. I know what I'm like - I will always look at it wondering if I should have got a bigger one!

I can always move Sky Q around and watch certain things in UHD - which should grow in time.

The other (family) room has an old Pioneer 506XDE on the wall which can only do 1080i anyway so can't do FHD regardless of the source.

Or buy 2 Hisense's or Samsung's and upgrade both TVs! :) Not sure how I'd justify that to the wife though.

Dodgexander

Thanks again. I take it you mean this Hisense model? Is it similar to the UE75NU8000 for watching HD sports as that's my main viewing? Sounds like anything over 75" will be too big a drop in broadcast HD quality but I may be OK with 75" as a compromise between size and quality at 8-9ft away.

65" is too small a screen uplift for me to buy a new TV. I know what I'm like - I will always look at it wondering if I should have got a bigger one!

I can always move Sky Q around and watch certain things in UHD - which should grow in time.

The other (family) room has an old Pioneer 506XDE on the wall which can only do 1080i anyway so can't do FHD regardless of the source.

Or buy 2 Hisense's or Samsung's and upgrade both TVs! :) Not sure how I'd justify that to the wife though.
Yes that is the model, it is going to be as good as the Samsung out of the box, but not as good as the Samsung if you want to be able to tweak motion settings in the menu.

LCDs are quite different from Plasma TVs in this respect, its wasteful to have a TV with a 120hz panel like the Samsung compared to 60hz on the Hisense unless you plan on using different motion settings. Plasma TVs you could get great motion out of the box without having to change anything.

So maybe for you if you want to be able to use more in depth motion settings the Samsung is worth the extra?

slb000

Novice Member
Had a look (and measure up) in Curry's over the weekend. My thoughts are:

- Sony KD75XF8596 (£1899): IPS panel so probably not a good buy vs the others and I need to buy a new stand so probably not worth the £1899 price plus a new stand;

- Samsung UE75NU8000 (£1699): good price, fits my stand and a VA panel with good motion for sports TV and viewing broadcast [email protected] will just about be OK;

- Samsung UE82NU8000 (£2699): £1000 more for 7" of TV, [email protected] will probably look worse and I need a new stand to fit it in but really like the big screen aspect;

Assuming Sony KD75XF9005 (£2300) not worth the uplift as I am mainly watching broadcast HD?

So all in all, my heart says UE82NU8000 but head is saying UE75NU8000 as it is the most complete solution for me taking everything into account.

Have to say there is a world of difference between these and QLED/OLED top end displays - even in the shop floor they looked awesome.

Dodgexander

The Sony will have better picture quality overall than the Samsung but its gains will be more with HDR content.

For your usage of broadcast TV its probably not going to be worth the extra. If you want the absolute best picture quality though it is the TV to go for.

There are downsides to it compared to the Samsung such as only 2x full bandwidth HDMI ports and poorer smart TV.

Analysis

Banned
Had a look (and measure up) in Curry's over the weekend. My thoughts are:

- Sony KD75XF8596 (£1899): IPS panel so probably not a good buy vs the others and I need to buy a new stand so probably not worth the £1899 price plus a new stand;

- Samsung UE75NU8000 (£1699): good price, fits my stand and a VA panel with good motion for sports TV and viewing broadcast [email protected] will just about be OK;

- Samsung UE82NU8000 (£2699): £1000 more for 7" of TV, [email protected] will probably look worse and I need a new stand to fit it in but really like the big screen aspect;

Assuming Sony KD75XF9005 (£2300) not worth the uplift as I am mainly watching broadcast HD?

So all in all, my heart says UE82NU8000 but head is saying UE75NU8000 as it is the most complete solution for me taking everything into account.

Have to say there is a world of difference between these and QLED/OLED top end displays - even in the shop floor they looked awesome.

You won't get a true picture of the panel in that environment, I'd suggest going to Richer Sounds for a proper demonstration, they are one of the few who will let you change settings etc if you ask in advance. John Lewis used to have dedicated A/V dark rooms but they are now a thing of the past, there are some still around in small A/V shops.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom