Question Upgrade from KEF R100

Nckch

Novice Member
Hi Everyone

I currently have KEF R100 working with a Rega Brio and Rega Planar 3

I bought my R100’s second hand and the sound is very good except they are a bit bright and I do find listening to more than one album a bit much, also not very forward at low volumes

So I am thinking of upgrading, probably second hand, I read all sorts of reviews and am a bit lost where to go, looking to spend upto £500.

my room is approx 5m wife by 4 deep and setup as photo attached

On my short list at the moment are the Rega RX1 and Quad S-2 (I prefer the traditional wood finish in speakers)

Question is as all of these have both of roughly the same size woofer are these going to be better than the R100 being more recent designs or just different with ribbon and soft tweeters

Any experience with these or advice for alternatives would be appreciated

Attachments

gibbsy

The reasons the R100s are not very good at low volume is more to do with the Brio. They are 86dB sensitivity and at low volume it would be hard on the Rega. I'm surprised you find the combination fatiguing as I run R300s with an Elicit-R and recently have been listening over five hours a day. Although for their size the R100s do go quite deep for their size that is probably what you are missing. If you could find R300s then their three way design will work a lot better for you as well as going quite a bit deeper. I run R300s with an Elicit-R.

It's difficult to say which speakers will better the R100s as they were a £600 speaker when new. I quite liked the B&W 702 S2 with an Elex driving them and I believe they would give an upgrade over the R100s, how easy it would be to find them on the used market I've not checked. The Rega RX1 would be easier on the Brio than the R100s with a sensitivity of 89dB. Oddly enough even though I'm a Rega owner I've never listened to a Rega speaker hooked up to any of their range of amps.

Nckch

Novice Member
The reasons the R100s are not very good at low volume is more to do with the Brio. They are 86dB sensitivity and at low volume it would be hard on the Rega. I'm surprised you find the combination fatiguing as I run R300s with an Elicit-R and recently have been listening over five hours a day. Although for their size the R100s do go quite deep for their size that is probably what you are missing. If you could find R300s then their three way design will work a lot better for you as well as going quite a bit deeper. I run R300s with an Elicit-R.

It's difficult to say which speakers will better the R100s as they were a £600 speaker when new. I quite liked the B&W 702 S2 with an Elex driving them and I believe they would give an upgrade over the R100s, how easy it would be to find them on the used market I've not checked. The Rega RX1 would be easier on the Brio than the R100s with a sensitivity of 89dB. Oddly enough even though I'm a Rega owner I've never listened to a Rega speaker hooked up to any of their range of amps.
Thanks for the reply, R300 would be good but hard to find, would they not be a bit much for my size of room?

gibbsy

They are quite big, the Regas are inbetween the R100 and R300. The beauty of the R300s is that they are very easy to place and although tall they do have a fairly narrow profile. There's one good thing about the Brio, providing the speakers are not too hard to drive then it's an amp that will suit a lot of speaker makes. Apart from Rega itself I've heard Regas with a number of different speakers and can't say any has really turned me off. R300s were my choice as it was an easy upgrade path for me as I went from KEF Eggs to R100s and then onto R300s. Still got the R100s on surround duties.

Nckch

Novice Member
They are quite big, the Regas are inbetween the R100 and R300. The beauty of the R300s is that they are very easy to place and although tall they do have a fairly narrow profile. There's one good thing about the Brio, providing the speakers are not too hard to drive then it's an amp that will suit a lot of speaker makes. Apart from Rega itself I've heard Regas with a number of different speakers and can't say any has really turned me off. R300s were my choice as it was an easy upgrade path for me as I went from KEF Eggs to R100s and then onto R300s. Still got the R100s on surround duties.
Interesting that you say the RX1 is in between the 100 and 300, in what respect or aspects of performance?

gibbsy

Yes I would say so. It's not got the bass performance figures of the 300 but it may not be so bright for you because of the different design. Some people do find the metal construction of the UniQ a little bright for their taste.

Paul7777x

Distinguished Member
As young Gibbsy says, the combination of the tiny bass driver, low impedance and not overly powerful amp will be giving you the trouble you mention.

I’d personally go in a different direction.

The Rega is a good amp indeed.

Paired with something like these, you get the bass at low volumes, no peakiness and an all round bigger and better sound.

They take up no more space than the Kefs and their stands. And by selling the R100s they become affordable.

Nckch

Novice Member
As young Gibbsy says, the combination of the tiny bass driver, low impedance and not overly powerful amp will be giving you the trouble you mention.

I’d personally go in a different direction.

The Rega is a good amp indeed.

Paired with something like these, you get the bass at low volumes, no peakiness and an all round bigger and better sound.

They take up no more space than the Kefs and their stands. And by selling the R100s they become affordable.

Thanks for the tip, I will have a look into those

Nckch

Novice Member
Yes I would say so. It's not got the bass performance figures of the 300 but it may not be so bright for you because of the different design. Some people do find the metal construction of the UniQ a little bright for their taste.
Hello gibbsy

just following up on your comments
I was wondering how the RX1 stands upto the LS50 and if the LS50 will be ok with the Brio

gibbsy

Hello gibbsy

just following up on your comments
I was wondering how the RX1 stands upto the LS50 and if the LS50 will be ok with the Brio
Although I'm a Rega amp owner I have never listen to Rega speakers. I would think they would be a safe bet more than likely developed together. LS50s are a hard drive. Audition is key.

Nckch

Novice Member
Although I'm a Rega amp owner I have never listen to Rega speakers. I would think they would be a safe bet more than likely developed together. LS50s are a hard drive. Audition is key.
Hello Gibbsy

just a note to thank you for your advice

I Ended up speaking to my local dealer and arranged to demo the RX1 with the same setup as I have at home.
I wasn’t expecting too much to be honest due to the mixed reviews and that the R100 and RX1 seem pretty much similar size and same but different

Wow I was surprised the tone on the RX1 is sublime and much more bass than I expected

£800 was somewhat more than I was planning on spending but the dealer, whom I had bought all my other Rega stuff from offered the demo speakers at a 25% discount.

Have setup at home and listening to Brothers in Arms half speed mastered version they are so much better than the KRFs

gibbsy

Great, glad you like them.