Upgrade from Kef Q1's to Q7's

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Hades, Apr 12, 2004.

1. Hades

Hades

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,153
    Hi all,

I currently have Q1's for fornt and rear and Q9C for centre. I am thinking of upgrading the fronts from Q1's to Q7's.

My amp is the Denon 3802.

Is there anyone that has the Q7's and how big a difference will it be for me from the Q1's?

Just wondering if I should save my money and stay as I am. However if I am going to see a massive improvement...then I might as well treat myself :)

Your help/advice is very much appreciated.

Many thanks,

Gazza...

2. FazerThou

FazerThou

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +149
    Don't know about the Q1's but if your gonna go for the Q7's I think they need a fairly good size room to get the best out of them.

3. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +111
    If you want to see a massive improvement, particularly with music, upgrade your amp.

4. Crocodile JD

Crocodile JD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    If you are already using them with a sub then you probably won't get any improvement. In fact Q7s may well prove to be harder to balance. If you don't have a sub then bass may well be improved from what you currently have, but I'd say get a sub

Cheers

Croc

5. J8NTS

J8NTS
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Why? In what way is the Denon 3802 deficiant? Only interested at I also have a 3802.

J8NTS

6. Hades

Hades

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,153
    Many thanks to all the replies guys.... will stop as I am for now me thinks.

Cheers,

Gazza...

7. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +295
    A lot people are very happy with the AVR3802's movie performance but feel that the musical side of things is fairly limited (me included).
    I have addressed this by adding an integrated amp to drive the fronts and improve stereo performance. (adding a power amp later). The denon has pre-outs so if you get an intergrated with an av in (like arcam) you can let the av amp control the gain and don't have to worry about equalising two volume controls:)
    This is a very worthwhile upgrade if music is important and you feel that the avr3802 isn't good enough. If your happy with the way it presents music then you have no worries. I personally found that with the addition of a good stereo amp and cdp I now have great sounding music as well as movie soundtracks giving me the best of both worlds.:thumbsup:

8. Hades

Hades

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,153
    I have brought this thread back up to the top again to ask a different question.

My 2 sets of Q1's F/R and my Q9C cost me some £750 when purchased.

Is there a set of speakers on the market today that could replace these (no sub required, one I have is very good).... and for under £1K..... thus making a better system?

9. reevesy

reevesy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,705
    yep...this the route i want to go

10. Member 96948

Member 96948
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,252
    Speaking as a Q owner and I've had the Q2ds surrounds as well, you don't even need to spend that much to improve significantly.

The one that springs to mind is the SVS SBS-01 package. Treble is in a different class of refinement, they'll play at much higher levels and the center in particular is a peach.

The downsides.

No wood finishes. Don't confuse that with poor dinish quality. They're very tidy.

Single wire only. OK it saves wasting money on pointless biwiring, but it knackers you if you biamp like I do.

I'm still pondering the front three in silver. I've been quoted £135 for the front pair and £180 for the center in the SVS powerbuys.

That's their other problem. They're too cheap for many to take them seriously, but I really can't express how good they really are. Actually I did in the SBS-01 thread that Badger started, I just can't be arsed to repeat myself.:)

Russell

PS. What is your sub? The complete SVS package weighs in under a grand with the PB-10.

11. Hades

Hades

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,153
    Thanks for the info... my sub is the B.K 200W and is awesome. Was a Powerbuy in here many moons ago I think.

Been looking at the SVS package... but not sure on it.

Hmmmm do I just leave it alone?

Not easy for me to pop[ and listen to various speakers... as live in a small village. A good 40 mile trek to a city :(