Upgrade from JVCDLA-HD350 - Is faux 4k worth it?

Luminated67

Distinguished Member
No you're right, was doing some more reading tonight and even the 9400 is bigger than the 350! And I thought the JVC was big! But it is oriented differently and, luckily only 200g heavier so it can be mounted where the JVC is, but it is another beast! 😁

Occasionally you can get lucky and maybe this is one of those occasions.

It's a very old matt White optima (I think) pull down screen.... Think I got it off here for £40 in the classifieds..... So that might be something else worth looking at upgrading to a grey screen.

Not cheap but the Diverse Screens from @Rickyj at Kalibrate are top notch quality and way better than it's RRP, worthwhile chatting with him on possible options and whilst I wouldn't suggest you would need a Grey screen for a JVC I have found it to be a revelation on the Epson giving it black levels worthy of a dedicated bat cave.

inzaman

I just replaced my 11 year old 350 in summer with a JVC9500, so have missed all the JVC steps inbetween, the first thing that struck me was how bright new projectors are.
My 350 is on the first bulb and around 1900 hours and i was thinking of starting to use high lamp mode. The 9500 on low lamp i have to close the aperture down to reduce the brightness. It is a faux 4k but it is also not just about pixels because if you have a dedicated room it is also the contrast.
For me it was a worthwhile upgrade, i was contemplating the Epson but glad i carried on searching for a used JVC as the fill ratio and blacks are an improvement.

Marky1973

Occasionally you can get lucky and maybe this is one of those occasions

Do you work in sales? 😁😁😁

Tha ks for the heads up on the screens, will check them out.... Might be something to do in the new year! 👍👍

Marky1973

I just replaced my 11 year old 350 in summer with a JVC9500, so have missed all the JVC steps inbetween, the first thing that struck me was how bright new projectors are.
My 350 is on the first bulb and around 1900 hours and i was thinking of starting to use high lamp mode. The 9500 on low lamp i have to close the aperture down to reduce the brightness. It is a faux 4k but it is also not just about pixels because if you have a dedicated room it is also the contrast.
For me it was a worthwhile upgrade, i was contemplating the Epson but glad i carried on searching for a used JVC as the fill ratio and blacks are an improvement.

Yeah my lamp hours are high, which is one of the reasons I am thinking I'll get a new lamp and enjoy that for a few months and then a lamp with fewer hours should make it a bit more attractive secondhand.... Gives me time to think about other options a bit more.... 👍👍

Luminated67

Distinguished Member
Do you work in sales? 😁😁😁

Tha ks for the heads up on the screens, will check them out.... Might be something to do in the new year! 👍👍

Yes in sales. :smashin:

Though not projectors. :laugh:

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
Also good point to mention if you are ponying up a lot of cash is warranty. I've had 1 projector and 2 TVs break down on me in the last year so I'm starting to really value a good warranty.

I know Epsons all come with 5 years warranty on PJ and bulb from date of purchase, accessible via the serial number.

Not sure about JVC's.

Tight Git

Distinguished Member
Unless it's changed recently, JVC warranties are not transferable.

This has not affected me personally, but I know is a bone of contention with some on the forum.

Marky1973

Marky1973

Also good point to mention if you are ponying up a lot of cash is warranty. I've had 1 projector and 2 TVs break down on me in the last year so I'm starting to really value a good warranty.

I know Epsons all come with 5 years warranty on PJ and bulb from date of purchase, accessible via the serial number.

Not sure about JVC's.

Good point.... I'm well out of warranty now, but I think I had a 2 year warranty on the JVC.... Always good to have that peace of mind....

Luminated67

Distinguished Member
Good point.... I'm well out of warranty now, but I think I had a 2 year warranty on the JVC.... Always good to have that peace of mind....

Its one of the reasons I mentioned a second hand Epson 9400 because most came with the 5yr warranty so even second hand you had that peace of mind.

Marky1973

Its one of the reasons I mentioned a second hand Epson 9400 because most came with the 5yr warranty so even second hand you had that peace of mind.

Yeah, I'm definitely leaning towards that model, although I will check out some of the JVCs, but the space I have is very limited so a few cm either way can mean no!

I think I am pretty much decided to upgrade but I'll aim to spend a bit more time saving so I can go for the 9400 (at the very least) so I have some time to think about some of the other smaller upgrades! 👍

Luminated67

Distinguished Member
Yeah, I'm definitely leaning towards that model, although I will check out some of the JVCs, but the space I have is very limited so a few cm either way can mean no!

I think I am pretty much decided to upgrade but I'll aim to spend a bit more time saving so I can go for the 9400 (at the very least) so I have some time to think about some of the other smaller upgrades! 👍

Smart move checking everything out that fits your room and screen size. This calculator for throw/screen ratio is brilliant as it list almost every model though you might need to pick the US version some times.

I’m pretty sure they list every JVC and Sony too.

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: We review Dune and ask which is the best decade for horror movies?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom