1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Upgrade from H30a to...?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by FlyingBig, Aug 15, 2005.

1. FlyingBig

FlyingBig
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    What would be a good upgrade? I like the H30 but a few small minor issues make he hesitate in using it long term so i am flirting with the idea of upgrading to a better projector. My new projector must have a 4 speed colour wheel and in an ideal world a 4:3 chip as i use my pj with my pc 90 percent of the time but realising that i may have no choice but to adapt to the 16:9 chip as most pjs have these days. Any obvious winners out there that would be a natural successor to the h30?

2. Squat

Squat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

The problem you are going to find with 4:3 is that they are almost exclusively designed around business users ie high brightness, low contrast (ignore the marketing spec!!), with limited video inputs ie no component etc.

Generally the DLP units will all only have a 2 speed 4 segment colour wheel and most will use either the 0.55" (budget) or 0.75" (mid-high) DDP2000 chip from TI. This chip has an integrated video scalar / de-interlacer called Truevision and it does a reasonable job, but it will not compare to the likes of Faroudja etc.

What do you need the projector to do?

3. n0s

n0s
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You can buy a H79 and run 1280*720 over DVI from your PC easily, a good gfx card can output in 16:9, do not buy a 4:3 projector!!!! But if you have to the NEC HT1100 is an excellent machine.