Upgrade from Grado iGrado headphones

lozfuller

Standard Member
I have a Cowon J3 and currently listen to this through a pair of Grado iGrado headphones. I'm happy with the type and quality of sound these headphones produce, but I find them a bit uncomfortable and they are no good for keeping out external noise.

What would people recommend for around £100 with a similar type of sound (any improvement in sound quality would be a bonus) which are comfortable and keep out the external noise?

I don't know a great deal about headphone types, but am happy to consider in-ear or on the ear type headphones.

Happy for any advice!

Loz

noisemaker

Have you considered staying on the grado line? maybe the Sr60's with bowls.

lozfuller

Standard Member
noisemaker said:
Have you considered staying on the grado line? maybe the Sr60's with bowls.

Just seen some good reviews of the Shure SRH-440 - would they be a good option for my needs and be driven ok by the cowon j3?

Berties

Banned
Don't have the igrados but have wooden Grados, they are pretty uncomfortable for longer listening periods. 2 albums and they're fine. Personally once you start looking into full size cans you should look into a headphone amp tbh. Grados are pretty easy to drive so can be run off portable devices (is an improvement in sound using headphone amp)

For specifics if that Shure needs an amp, checkout headfi.

lozfuller

Standard Member
Would the /Audio-Technica-ATH-M50 be a worthwhile upgrade from the Shure? Would the Cowon J3 drive these OK without an amplifier?

Drubbing

I've heard both and can't pick much between them, they're both good. M50 is probably bassier.

Neither will meet your first criteria of a Grado like sound. Only Grados sound like Grados.

Phildick

Neither will meet your first criteria of a Grado like sound. Only Grados sound like Grados.

I don't think the iGrados sound like the rest of the range. The Grado sound is supposed to be bright and in your face.

I have a pair of iGrados and bright they are not.

noisemaker

Probably ultrasone fit your reqs. Try the HFI-580's.
They are pretty good with rock music.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom