Upgrade from Epson 3200

simonb3665

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi, I have a Epson 3200 and I am thinking of upgrading. It is in a very small dedicated room (3x3) which is light controlled. I got the Epson second hand to see if it would get used which it does so I am now thinking of looking for something that is an upgrade. I find a screen size of 80 inches is right for movies so any new projector would need to have a throw of 1.4 or better. The projector is on a shelf on back wall so I can probably live without the lens shift of the Epson. I would consider spending about £1000 second hand or up to 1500 for something new with a 5 year warranty. Maybe look for something when the new models come out.
The size of the Epson image is fun but i would like to get a little closer to the pq that I get on my Plasma.
I have demo an Epson 6100 at Richer sounds but it didn't look much better than my current projector although the room was not properly light controlled. I also tried there other projector which was a Panosonic PTAT6000E which was better but certainly didn't blow me away and at £2300 was more than I am willing to spend. I would like to demo more projectors but work commitment don't allow me much time to travel at the weekend at the moment so I a would welcome any opinions on what may suit me.

Richers have a single JVC X35 at a midlands branch (or did last week) for £1799 it's an ex demo but with 5 yr warranty, that would be my choice.It would have to be a collection though as they won't send to your nearest branch.

Simon
I replaced my tw3200 with a used TW5500. The TW5500 gives a much more dynamic picture, with excellent black levels. I have so far put 100hrs on the bulb and am now considering changing my screen and getting it ISF'd.
Got for a great price too, so after selling my TW3200, only cost an extra £300! Plus I have a spare bulb, which is the same for the TW3200.

I have a pioneer 9G kuro, and the picture of the 5500 is very much approaching that.
You may need to alter your room / screen to get the best out of it, as with any higher end PJ

I did look at getting a newer model, but did not want to spend £1k+
For what I paid, the 2d picture is superb.
Of course, there is no warranty with the PJ, apart from the month the seller has provided, but so far convergence spot on and no dust blobs!!

If you want details of where I got it feel free to pm

Thanks guys I appreciate you taking time to reply. I did have a look into the JVC. It is over what I wanted to spend but seems reasonable value but unfortunately there is no way to demo. They also can't say how many hours are on the bulb (it was in there demo room). Much like my local branch the guy didn't seem very knowledgeable or to keen to help. Pity as Bham is just about close enough to travel to.
Interested in your views of the tw5500. As I have only been a projector owner for a year its difficult for me to judge how things have moved on and how a new budget projector stacks up to a 4 year old top of range but very interesting that you saw a good bump in performance.
I do like the idea of spending under a £1000 to get something better to see me through to the 4k era but also I suspect I will be itching to upgrade again in 6 months so maybe a false economy.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom