iotasquare

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi
I have a setup of Elicit R and Emit 20 in an untreated room of 16X12 feet, from a Node2i.
Listen to 60-70s Rock Classics, Prog Rock, Jazz, Guitars, little Metal.

I got the setup without demo, though I like the sound of it, though a little more lower end than what I like, and maybe not that good at low level listening.

Considering to get an upgrade.

What would be a better one?
Getting something like KEF LS50, R3, Quad Speakers, Revel M16 and keep the Elicit-R.

Or get a set of LS50W, and let go Elicit R too.

And is the DAC a weak link in my setup? How much would it be an upgrade?

Thanks! :)

Regards

Hi
One of the moderators on here is very keen on his elicit/r300 combo, so the r3 are probably worth a demo.
I use a Rega amp with neat speakers and think that they work very well together. The sx 1 would work just fine in a room that size.

All of the questions you are asking cannot be reliably answered because it really does depend on the room. You could junk everything you have and randomly buy a new system and have the same issues because of the room. What others say works well for them may not work well for you because there is a fundamental issue with the way the room affects the sound. The best way is to demo in your room or get something with room correction.

Hi
One of the moderators on here is very keen on his elicit/r300 combo, so the r3 are probably worth a demo.
I use a Rega amp with neat speakers and think that they work very well together. The sx 1 would work just fine in a room that size.
That will be me. Great combination. The Elicit has great bass control, fast and agile, so I would think the new R3s will be just as good. Drives them with room filling ease. I preferred the R300s to the LS50s, better bottom end and are more versatile for a music and home cinema mix.

I would not ditch the Elicit for wireless LS50s. It's simply too good.

That will be me. Great combination. The Elicit has great bass control, fast and agile, so I would think the new R3s will be just as good. Drives them with room filling ease. I preferred the R300s to the LS50s, better bottom end and are more versatile for a music and home cinema mix.

I would not ditch the Elicit for wireless LS50s. It's simply too good.
Hi, I see that you love your R300/ElicitR combo very well.
Have you by any chance paired the Elicit R with any of Dyns or the LS50, so that I can get an impression and your reference.

Also what DAC do you have in your chain?

Regards

All of the questions you are asking cannot be reliably answered because it really does depend on the room. You could junk everything you have and randomly buy a new system and have the same issues because of the room. What others say works well for them may not work well for you because there is a fundamental issue with the way the room affects the sound. The best way is to demo in your room or get something with room correction.
Very true, yes it is the room that's an integral part of acoustics and is often ignored. I have been quite ignorant and tried filling my room with DIY stuffs and furniture, very slight improvement though after a limit. Maybe a professional/guided treatment may be more fruitful.

How have you treated your room?

Regards

Hi, I see that you love your R300/ElicitR combo very well.
Have you by any chance paired the Elicit R with any of Dyns or the LS50, so that I can get an impression and your reference.

Also what DAC do you have in your chain?

Regards
My audition was for amps and not speakers as they were already in place as part of a 5.1.2 surround set up. The Elicit was bought because of the poor performance of Denon receivers. My speakers have been in place for over five years.

I base all my observations on how the Elicit performs in a pure stereo set up. My music set up is simple just a Denon DCD 2500 NE SACD player connected to the Elicit. DAC is a Burr Brown PCM 1795. Superb player.

My other connection via HT by-pass is a Denon AVC X6500.

Very true, yes it is the room that's an integral part of acoustics and is often ignored. I have been quite ignorant and tried filling my room with DIY stuffs and furniture, very slight improvement though after a limit. Maybe a professional/guided treatment may be more fruitful.

How have you treated your room?

Regards
You can get amps with room correction built in such as the Lyngdorf range and their Room Perfect solftware. Expensive amps which would require better speakers. Looking down the well of audio equipment it can get very deep and very expensive very quickly.

What do you have the Emit 20 speakers on?

I heard them once supported on dedicated Dynaudio stands, in a typical hifi show hotel bedroom situation driven by a Naim Atom.

Best room at the show short of 1 system costing 10s of thousands....

Jim

What do you have the Emit 20 speakers on?

I heard them once supported on dedicated Dynaudio stands, in a typical hifi show hotel bedroom situation driven by a Naim Atom.

Best room at the show short of 1 system costing 10s of thousands....

Jim

It's on quite a stable stand customised, equivalent or better than Dyn original ones.

The highs feels a little less detailed, and little laidback overall sound than I desire.

It's on quite a stable stand customised, equivalent or better than Dyn original ones.

The highs feels a little less detailed, and little laidback overall sound than I desire.

... then I’d suggest these might be your ideal speaker sir.

Active speakers are never ‘laidback’; and the detail retrieval of properly done active speakers is astonishing.

Another plus for actives is that as they have a dedicated power amp for each individual driver, they always sound full even at very low volumes.

The extra control, especially of the bass driver at high and, crucially, low volumes, afforded by having no passive crossover makes them a super choice for any listening level.

There is also a slightly smaller version, the Xeo 10 for an appreciable saving.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom