1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Upgrade from DV79 to DV29?

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by ihan, Nov 24, 2004.

1. ihan

ihan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Hi,

This may be one for the Arcam technical guys. Regarding DVD picture quality via HDMI in interlaced mode (into an external scaler). Since the DV79 & DV29 use the same Zoran Vaddis V chipset and I am using HDMI (therefore the DACs aren't used), is there any point whatsoever in upgrading to a DV29?
    If so, can you give me the technical reason why?

Regards,
    ihan

2. Engineer

Engineer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In terms of picture quality over HDMI there will be no difference between the DV79 and DV29.
    Where the DV29 is different is that it offers multi-channel high resolution audio over its HDMI output (aka HDMI 1.1) wheras the DV79 is limited to 2 channel PCM at 48k sample rate (HDMI 1.0).
    Currently there are no receivers on the market that can actually process the audio from HDMI 1.1, but they will start to appear.

The DV29 also offers improved audio quality compared to DV79 on its analogue audio outputs.

I hope this helps

Pete, Arcam

3. ihan

ihan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Thanks for your reply Pete.

Since I am only concerned with video quality, it looks as though there is no point in me upgrading.

Is there a difference between them viewing via analogue component output (in both interlaced & progressive modes). Does the DV29 have better video DACs? Does the DV29 have better de-interlacing, or is that done is the VaddisV as well?

Regards,
    ihan

4. Engineer

Engineer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Video DACs are the same on both models (Analog Devices with 12 bit resolution, 216MHz oversampling), but the DV29 makes use of high precision components (resistors, voltages references etc), to obtain better accuracy and channel matching on the analogue component output.
    De-interlacing is done in Vaddis V in both.

Pete

5. ihan

ihan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Pete,

Many thanks for your comprehensive reply; this level of information is what distinguishes Arcam from the rest. I don't think I'll upgrade the DV79 just yet. My next Arcam purchase will be the AVR300.

Regards,
    ihan

6. flamingoboo

flamingoboo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    hi Pete,

Do these resistors, voltage frequencies etc bear no difference on the hdmi outputs between the DV79 and DV29. Also are the digital coaxial sound outputs the same in terms of quality.

Many Thanks,
    Bhusan.