Upgrade from Digitheatre

M

mattox

Hi,

I'm after a bit of advice. My Videologic Digitheatre died on me last week so its time for an upgrade.

I'm thinking of getting the Marantz SR4300 amp, but I really havn't got a clue about speakers. I would like to get the full 6.1 system.

Could someone give me a few suggestions on what to look for. I have a budget of around 600 to spend.

Thanks.

well have a look listen at mission cinema 72 pack etc and add a 2nd centre, or for a lifestyle type speaker Mission FS2 etc £350 is not alot for a sub and 6 speakers mate. have a look at the the yammaha HTib 45 package see what you think. Good sites are hifibitz, avland, superfi etc

don,t fret to much about a sub, get your amp and speakers first. i didn,t have a sub for 12 months. , and lived quite happily till i could afford one[velodyne vx 10] . only thing now is i want to change my amp!!!!!!

Will the mission cinema 72 pack be a good upgrade from the digitheatre? Will I notice the difference?

I notice mission do a m73 and m74 pack which include floorstanding front speakers. Are these a better package?

Thanks for your help. I'll try and get a demo of some stuff at the weekend. One more question though, to add the extra speaker for 6.1 should I use a normal speaker or will a centre speaker work just as well? I guess its hard to find speakers on there own and not in a pair?

I started with a videologic digitheater a few years back and upgraded to the seperates route. I sold mine on though rather than it giving up the ghost.
I went for the Mission M71 speaker package myself and was well happy with the overall results it gave me. Although the digitheatre is fairly impressive imo for an all in one speaker package the M71 package offers you a much improved HC experience. The M72 package will give you a better bass responce since it has a bigger cabinet than the M71 but if you couple with a subwoofer the M71 will suffice since the sub will cater for lower lfe duties. I have still got half the package for my rears and the original M7c1 centre is being used as the rear centre in my current set up. You can pick up the M71 package for around £250 if you shop around and the extra centre would cost around £85. this would leave you £265 for a subwoofer. For this price you might like to go for a velo vx-10 in the powerbuy section - a lot of people seem to rate this sub but if you could stretch to a velo cht-10 (£325) would be a great performer coupled with the M71 package.

My friend had a Digitheatre DTS which we all thought sounded great. When he decided to upgrade to a full separates system, with Mordaunt-Short 905 Signatures for the front, a 905 (?) centre, and some cheapie Gale rears, with a Yamaha 595 amp, I was quite sceptical that it would be much of an improvement. But my GOD what a difference! The Mordaunt-Shorts really are fantastic value for home cinema - very dynamic and impressive. Not sure if it's within your budget, but I think the whole lot came in under £600 without a sub. He now has a BK Electric sub which is very nice.

Cheers,

Dunc

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom