Question Upgrade from Denon x1400 H for 5.1 clean sound setup

Turaism

Novice Member
First of all thank you all your support from now on.

For a year I own a Denon X1400 H. It was an upgrade from Yamaha rx v367, which indeed caused a lot of hearable difference.

I used MA Bronze BX 5 as a start and now changed to Quadral Signo Avantgarde 80 (4 to 8ohms working range) Audioquest rocket 22 4 *15 awg cables are connected for bi amping (2 pair of these cables for each speaker) .

Center is a Kef C6 LCR hence signo 10 center is overly priced in Turkey. Cable is the same.

My sub is Sansui sw 190, old but quite sufficient. Placed on an edge.

Electric system of the house is at most 3 years old. I listen in a 35m2 room. Fronts are 3 meters and surrounds are 1.5 meters away from general listening position. I use the system to watch Netflix and stream Spotify and TuneIn radio. My TV or Xbox One S is connected with an Audioquest Chocolate cable.

Currently I am sensing my system lacks some dynamic sound. It does not feel loud and soundstage feeels a bit narrow. That's why I consider to change my amplifier.

I will never ever setup my system for Atmos. It will remain 5.1. I am looking for a budget upgrade. 2018 and upper models are fine for me. I find some nice prices for Denon and Marantz. Yamaha is present in Turkey as well but I am not aware of their newer models.

What should be the next step to make an audible change in the system?

Denon avc 3700 (you may advice older models as well or from 4x00 series ) or Marantz 5015. And why?

I do not include any Yamaha here hence I did not search any but recommendations are welcome.

Last edited:

rccarguy2

Because in some regards it did better than the 3700. 3700 showed quite a lot of hdmi noise in the signal.
4*** range is better like two line display, auro3d, al32, a bit more power. Be aware they get hot. Ribbon cable that blocks airflow

One of the higher end models has monobloc type design with higher quality heatsink and amplifier layout.

Upvote 0

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
First of all thank you all your support from now on.

For a year I own a Denon X1400 H. It was an upgrade from Yamaha rx v367, which indeed caused a lot of hearable difference.

I used MA Bronze BX 5 as a start and now changed to Quadral Signo Avantgarde 80 (4 to 8ohms working range) Audioquest rocket 22 4 *15 awg cables are connected for bi amping (2 pair of these cables for each speaker) .

Center is a Kef C6 LCR hence signo 10 center is overly priced in Turkey. Cable is the same.

My sub is Sansui sw 190, old but quite sufficient. Placed on an edge.

Electric system of the house is at most 3 years old. I listen in a 35m2 room. Fronts are 3 meters and surrounds are 1.5 meters away from general listening position. I use the system to watch Netflix and stream Spotify and TuneIn radio. My TV or Xbox One S is connected with an Audioquest Chocolate cable.

Currently I am sensing my system lacks some dynamic sound. It does not feel loud and soundstage feeels a bit narrow. That's why I consider to change my amplifier.

I will never ever setup my system for Atmos. It will remain 5.1. I am looking for a budget upgrade. 2018 and upper models are fine for me. I find some nice prices for Denon and Marantz. Yamaha is present in Turkey as well but I am not aware of their newer models.

What should be the next step to make an audible change in the system?

Denon avc 3700 (you may advice older models as well or from 4x00 series ) or Marantz 5015. And why?

I do not include any Yamaha here hence I did not search any but recommendations are welcome.

Do you have speakers placed too narrow then? I mean the main speakers how far apart are they now and have you tried to push them at least 2,5m apart if you sit 3m away?

Do you have Audussey Dynamic EQ "On" from the Denon menu? Audussey Dynamic Volume Off.

Other basic settings from Denon menu, speaker sizes all small, crossovers roughly 80hz although you didn`t tell which surround speakers you have. Subwoofer mode set to LFE, not LFE+Main. LPF for LFE to 120hz.

For subwoofer the gain knob around 12clock (see subwoofer level from menu), frequency knob to maximum 180hz, phase to 0.

Upvote 0

Turaism

Novice Member
Dear @Gasp3621 many thanks for your approach. Surrounds are Dali Spektor 1.
My current settings are:

1. Sub: channel. Set to LFE, Amp cross set sto 80 Hz and sub cross is set to 80 Hz
  2. Fronts: Set to 150 Hz
  3. Center and surrounds: Set to 200Hz (they have smaller drivers)
  4. Audssey: I have never used, becauseI change my listening position a lot.

Upvote 0

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Dear @Gasp3621 many thanks for your approach. Surrounds are Dali Spektor 1.
My current settings are:

1. Sub: channel. Set to LFE, Amp cross set sto 80 Hz and sub cross is set to 80 Hz
  2. Fronts: Set to 150 Hz
  3. Center and surrounds: Set to 200Hz (they have smaller drivers)
  4. Audssey: I have never used, becauseI change my listening position a lot.

Well it`s no suprise that it doesn´t sound good if you have just manually set those cause they are wrong and not ran Audussey. While you move listening position you should still run the setup with mic + cardboard stand (or tripod/mic stand!) placed on the opposite to tv "money seat" at middle. Run 3mic positions with the first one in the so called main spot which is opposite to tv often. Then the two both side of this about 30cm apart. Room 100% silent when you run it and get away from mic/speakers. And definitely use the stand so the mic is at around seated ear height in all positions and it "sees" all speakers.

Turn the knobs the way i said behind your sub before you run Audussey and turn the power switch to "On" if it´s "Auto" now. This is just to make sure the sub won´t be sleeping during setup.

After Audussey keep the LPF for LFE at 120hz, do not lower it to 80hz!

See which speaker crossovers the receiver sets for you when it measures the roll-off for each speakers, it will be much lower than what you have now and your system should end up sounding better! I don`t understand why you have opted for such high crossover settings cause your front three can easily handle 80hz and the Dali`s should be fine with 100-120hz. For now change the knobs behind sub and run Audussey!

Upvote 0

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: LG C1 OLED First Thoughts + JBL Synthesis SDR-35 Review, TV Show & Disc Reviews & more
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom