1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Upgrade from Denon 1601?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Phil.LFC, Jan 2, 2004.

Tags:
  1. Phil.LFC

Phil.LFC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    I'm thinking of upgrading from my Denon 1601 as I now have Sky+ and a Panasonic HS2 DVD recorder.
    I believe that PL2 is far superior for Sky viewing.
    I currently run the 1601 with KEF Cresta 1's but I'm going to get the new Kef Eggs to partner the new amp.
    What amp would be a suitable upgrade? I don't really want to go for a "budget" model as I'm trying to improve my whole system.

Current possible shortlist:

Yamaha DSP-AX640SE
    Pioneer VSX-D2011
    Denon 1804
    Denon 2803

I know there's a bit of a price difference between all these but I'm a bit confused. Don't want to spend megabucks but want to step up from "budget". Would there be a significant (ie to convince my wife!) improvement with any of these amps? Sorry if I'm sounding a bit like a beginner but that's probably what I am.:blush:
    Any advice greatly appreciated:)

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
  3. Phil.LFC

Phil.LFC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
  4. Phil.LFC

Phil.LFC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    Have just PX'd my 1601 at Sevenoaks for £50, against a Denon 2803 in silver for £499.
    What a difference:eek: :D
    Compared to the 1601 this is a FANTASTIC amp!
    The clarity is far superior, it looks smart, the remote is excellent (Might even sell my Pronto now;) ), Dolby PL2 sounds fantastic, CD's sound much better,.....I could go on..
    I was a bit worried about spending so much on the amp but now have no regrets.
    I'm using Kef Cresta 1's at the moment but was going to go for the eggs soon, but now I'm not so sure £650 would give me as much improvement again.:confused:

5. ditton15

ditton15
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    welcome to the Denon AVR280n club. I have a s/h 2802, and noticed the difference over the 1602 that I first bought ex-dem. I think that its a well-spec'd 'level' of integrated AVamp at which to hang out, delivering much more than entry level and costing much less than the higher end. I intend to hang out for a while to save up the ££s for a processor/poweramp upgrade sometime, sometime ...

Then the argument will be between the better control and sound quality of the proc/power combo and the features, such as DPL2+, that the AVR2805 might bring ....

6. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +286
    Although the Kef's Cresta's are classed as a budget speaker I feel that they may give you a fuller sound over the eggs due to them giving a wider soundstage due to the nature of larger cabinate speakers. The only way to see if you get an improvement thats worthy of the outlay would be to compare the two. I'd personally look to replace the fronts to the kef Q series of speakers since your other half is used to standmount/bookshelf speakers and if you were to get a subsat system she'd never go big again I feel .see here:-

http://www.theflicks.co.uk/speakers/kef_q.htm

review for q1's here:-

http://www.hifichoice.co.uk/review_read.asp?ID=2455

these would out perform the eggs imo and can be picked up for around £250 in various finishes and would be matched with the centre speaker in that range well within your budget.

You might also think about auditioning the B&W 600 S3 series of speakers you can pick up the dm602 s3 and lrc60 for under £500. see here:-

http://www.bwspeakers.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/products.ranges/label/Range 600 Series 3

they look lovely in sorrento finish (imo) and sound fantastic for the money (I had them before I upgraded to my Linns).

You could move your crestas to rear duties as it's not as important for the rear soundstage to match the front. Have you a subwoofer in your current set up? I'd advise you save for one if you haven't since you'll be missing out if you don't (oops just seen your sig):D:blush:

7. Phil.LFC

Phil.LFC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57