1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Upgrade from D30 to 10D - worth it?

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by simon1967, Nov 20, 2003.

1. simon1967

simon1967

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Just looking at a possible upgrade to the 10D. As already mentioned on a previous thread, I am very happy with the camera but would like the extra resolution and I understand the focusing system has been improved.

Anyone had experiences of both and can let me know if they were happy with the change and what the main differences were?

Also, anyone know the best reputable place to buy the 10D?

Thanks

simon

2. docsmith2k1

docsmith2k1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Hi Simon

I upgraded from the D30 to the 10D. Was it worth it. In a word yes !. In more words
    1 Increased resolution 3M to 6M CMOS sensor
    2 Build Quality is vastly superior on the 10D due largely to its aluminium shell.
    3 Focusing - uses extremely fast and extremely accurate 7 sensor focussing system.
    4 Metering - the D30 has a tendancy to underexposure - OK I know this can be compensated for either in camera or with photoshop but the 10D produces consistantly better exposure.
    5 10D has up to 7 levels of data compression, including recoring both RAW and jpeg at the same time.

I have not regretted the change and I get superb, sharp, richly coloured A3 prints, which is as large as I will ever wish to go, from the 10D.

3. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Have you considered the 300d - not as feature rich / as well built as the 10d but shares the same CMOS sensor & is much cheaper - I couldn't justify spending the extra £400 for the 10d

4. simon1967

simon1967

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I like to mess about with the manual settings so wouldn't like to miss features that I am used to on the D30. As I understand it, the 300D lacks a few of the custom settings. I also am used to the solid build quality of the D30 and the ability to use my battery grip and batteries on the 10D is an added bonus. You may be able to use them on the 300D but to be honest, I haven't really looked at the 300D spec list too carefully.

I was actually holding out for an affordable Canon full-frame digital (like the 1Ds) and was hoping that this would be some time soon now that they have released the 300D. What changed my mind was reading a review of the 1D and they explained why full-frame chips are so expensive. Reading between the lines, it didn't seem that affordable (under £2000) full-frame digitals will be with us for a little while yet so I am looking at changing.

I just need to sell my D30 and then I'll be looking in earnest. Where is the best place for 10D's? Is it worth buying them in the States - I have friends over there I could mail order to and then they could bring them over when visiting. I am pretty sure that Canon's guarantee is wordwide. Anyone gone down this route?

5. Peakoverload

Peakoverload

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +177
    The 10D is a really great camera and I would honestly say is worth upgrading from the D30. The speed of the focus is incredibly fast and the 6.3 Million pixel resolution is fantastic.

I can recommend www.parkcameras.co.uk Thats where I bought mine from. Top notch service, really really know there stuff and very good prices too.

HTH

6. shb77

shb77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    I have just upgraded from a D30 to a 10D - it is a vast improvement (improved focussing, build quality, 6 mp, metering etc).

I too purchased from park cameras (next day delivery) and found to be very competitive on price (£1129).

Was thinking about purchasing on e bay but given that auctions were ending on prices that were only about £150 less than the price of brand new camera (with the peace of mind that comes with this), I decided to buy new.

7. simon1967

simon1967

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Exactly my thinking. The ebay cameras were regularly selling at £950-£1050 and you are taking big risks to save £200 at the most. I also looked at buying abroad: China, Singapore and the US and again the savings weren't that great either so I guess I'll be giving Park Cameras a call in the near future. As I am VAT registered, I am also eligible to claim the VAT back on the purchase which takes the cost to me a under £1000.:p

By the way, what did you guys do with your D30's? Ebay?

Simon

8. shb77

shb77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Still have my D30 at the moment, though I am going to put it on e bay this weekend - they seem to go for £400-£475.

Shaiba

9. shb77

shb77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Just thought I would let you knw that I managed to sell my camera on e bay at a "buy it now" price of £475 - am pleased with this

Shaiba