• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Upgrade from "budget" to "enthusiast" player?

xit2050

After two weeks with the Sony NS78, I still haven't decided to keep it or to upgrade yet again to something else.

Is there someone who has been through the same steps of replacing a Sony NS78 or something similar (Philips 5980 or 5990, Pioneer 410,...) with an Oppo 980H or Pioneer LX50 or Denon 1940 or something like that?
Does the price difference between these "budget" players and "enthusiast" players actually translate to noticeable differences on the screen?

Or would it be better to just sit it out for 2 years or so with the Sony until there are BR players around with better dvd capabilities?

Bolander

I upgraded from the NS78's predecessor, the NS76 to an Oppo 981. Whilst there was an improvement in picture quality this was only clearly apparent on test patterns and panning shots. I was pleasantly surprised when I reverted to the NS76 recently, whilst the 981 was away for repairs, to find the NS76 was not obviously inferior to the 981.

xit2050

Thanks.
So, in your opinion it would be a waste of money to spend 3 or 4 times more on an Oppo or something similar...
Good news, although I wonder why everyone keeps boasting about the superiority of the Oppo players if you didn't see any major differences?
BTW, what screen were the players connected to (as this could also play a role)?

More personal experiences anyone?

Avi

Distinguished Member
Thanks.
So, in your opinion it would be a waste of money to spend 3 or 4 times more on an Oppo or something similar...
Good news, although I wonder why everyone keeps boasting about the superiority of the Oppo players if you didn't see any major differences?
BTW, what screen were the players connected to (as this could also play a role)?

Image size, native display res and viewing distance are all considerations. On a relatively small screen size <50" viewing at typical 8-9' distance the difference may be less apparent. Especially if the display itself is further processing the input signal to its native res i.e. 1366x768 etc. That said deinterlacing artefacts should still be noticeable if you know what they look like.

The difficulty for many is also how to benchmark the difference and know what's good and what's not. I recall attending a show that had three PJ's showing the same images. I'd been looking at these for about 20 minutes and was thinking how bad one of the images looked (relative to the others) when a guy sat next to me said what's the difference ? They all look the same. :confused:

In my experience when you move to larger display sizes at shorter viewing distance the difference becomes much more significant.

AVI

Last edited:

xit2050

Well, as you can see in my signature, the display is 42" and I sit about 8 feet away.
I gather that the differences should be minimal at best in this situation.

If only we could test different players at home before deciding which to buy...

Nic Rhodes

Distinguished Member
Size is key here and for a 42 incher I would not get too twitchy to be honest. The Sony isn't a bad machine, and although the 981 is better you might struggle to justify the differences. If you have an 80 incher then the conclusion would be very different, and you would see a difference and a big jump upto the Oppo 983.

Bolander

Thanks.

Both players were connected to a 32" CRT TV and a projector at SD only.
On a larger screen and with upscaling to higher definitions the difference could well have been more obvious. You asked for a comparison with the 980 - from all accounts the 983 would give a substantial improvement over this but would also cost a lot more.
As Nick pointed out, how much of a difference you would see depends on screen size so there isn't a simple answer to your question.

Avi

Distinguished Member
You asked for a comparison with the 980 - from all accounts the 983 would give a substantial improvement over this but would also cost a lot more.
As Nick pointed out, how much of a difference you would see depends on screen size so there isn't a simple answer to your question.

It really depends what's on the end of the 980 576i/480i HDMI output in terms of video processing. ;)

AVI

scorpion88

PQ aside the 980 provides superior AQ if this is a factor for you.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom