1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Upgrade from AX3

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by philthyanimal, Oct 21, 2004.

1. philthyanimal

philthyanimal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Might have some money comming from changing my mortgage in December, so of course i will be using it on AV equipment :D

I have an AX3 and 757i. Just wondering about upgrades. Looking at the denon 2805 amp and the 2910 dvd, or the new pioneer 2014i to go with my existing 757i. Or if i can afford it a new HK avr 430 and dvd 31(older HK DVD if it matches the new colouring of black and silver).

A few questions though. Is it worth upgrading to any of these? is the rs232 port on the denon for upgrading, does the spl on the HK remote act like the mcacc on the AX3, and out of all of these(my amp and player included) which is recommended. Oh and are the new 430's shipping with dpl2x or is it going to have to go back for the upgrade, and at what cost.

thanks

2. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,145
    As an AX3 owner and as someone who has heard a 2014, I can assure you that it isn't much of a sonic upgrade althought there are some new features. The Denon might be worth a look but my beady eye has been turned toward the Rotel RSX1056 and the Marantz SR8500 for a while now.

3. Gomez

Gomez

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't think that changing gear within the same price range can be considered a real upgrade. Both machines you own are excellent value for money.

I own the Pio 1011 and still consider it to be an extraordinary machine. The only reason for me to change it for an equivalent amp would be PL2x if I wanted to realize a 7.1 configuration.

The 757 still offers hard-to-beat PQ via YUV output. Replacing it with the H/K DVD 31 would IMO be a downgrade. The Denon 2910 would be intereresting if you went for DVI.

To sum it up: Don't do it. I don't know the rest of your gear, but upgrading speakers or investing in room acoustics seems to be more adequate. Or what about upgrading PJ (or buying one if you don't own one)?

Cheers,
    Gomez

4. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,236
    I moved from an AX3 to the Arcam AVR300 and it was quite an improvement.

5. jon smith

jon smith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    The 2014i will give you ilink and upconversion on video switching - if you need these features it's probably worth it. If you don't need them it probably isn't.

I'm thinking of upgrading from the 2011 to the 2014 for the features above (torn between this and the Denon 3805)

I think soundwise all the amps you mentioned would be on a par.

6. philthyanimal

philthyanimal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for the replies.
    I have kef eggs as speakers.
    i really fancied the idea of an i link amp. IS the picture quality via component as good as picture via dvi?
    Would i be as well investing in a plasma display instead of upgrading the amp or dvd.
    I have a 32" flat screen philips at the mo'