Upgrade from AVR 600 to AV888 ?

Sab

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I have upgraditis again.

I am thinking of trading in or selling my AVR600 to buy an AV888 processor.I already have a P7. I used to have an AV8 but because of Blu Ray and HDMI audio / video switching I went for the AVR 600.

Is there a big leap in performance when you go from the AVR600's level up to the AV888?

I inderstand the main difference between the two units is that the AV888 has higher quality Dacs and the power amps are removed resulting in less noise.

Or should I wait 6 months to a year when the AV888 will be available second hand or ex-demo at a cheaper price.

To be honest you may well reap greater benefits by upgrading your speakers first. A move up from the TB2s to OB1i for the front two and the CB6i for the centre is likely to make a very noticeable improvement and be a better upgrade than moving straight to the AVR888.

Unfortunately my room is too small for any big floorstanders. I do love my PMC speakers and they are seven years old!

I think that the GB1i may be just about OK but I need to get the matching centre. But a dealer told me that the TB2s can go louder. Also, I have connected up my REL Q150E MKII subwoofer via the 'high level' connection to my power amp for stereo and multichannel duties.

The high level connection integrates with the front left and right speakers and adds bass. Maybe a PMC subwoofer ? But that is nearly £2000 new!

I feel I have to agree with Brahms, as somebody who has upgraded from an AVR600 to the AV888/P777 combo and demoed the PMC range meticiously right from the DB1 upto the EB1 I can definately say that going up the PMC range definately would reap greater benefits than going for the AV888.

I only went for the AV888 as I loved my AVR600 so much but felt that the EB1's I went for needed the extra power that the P777 delivered over the AVR600 and I feel that your TB2's really wouldn't benefit from that.

If I was you, I'd demo the OB1's and definately the PB1's and if you're feeling brave maybe the EB1's, then think about the AV888 after that.

Back to your original question though, from my experience I'd say the AV888 is definately a step up from the AVR600, its definately a cleaner more detailed sound and the P777 definatley can deliver some real drive to the low frequencies, that is until you've heard a Bryston :rolleyes: how different the P7 is I'm not sure. I suppose if you can sell you're AVR600 for a good price and can get a good deal on an AV888 then it would be worth considering.

You have to balance your system.

If you haven't got some decent floorstanders then, I feel, you will be wasting your money.

Since I do not have decent floorstanders and are unlikely to buy in the near future, I will not get the AV888.

Timbo21- how does your AVR600 handle the Kef Reference speakers?

Timbo21- how does your AVR600 handle the Kef Reference speakers?

Brilliantly, no problem.

My MF is best for stereo, but when I want the best sound for a film I replug the speakers bi-amped directly from the AVR600.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom