1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Upgrade from AV32R

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by bmurphygbr, Jul 11, 2003.

1. bmurphygbr

bmurphygbr
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I know similar threads have been posted before and I make no apologies. There seem to be many here who's comments I welcome.

I have an AV32R which has served me well since the end of 1999. It powers and Parasound 1205A which in turn drives M&K S85's at the front and some SS150THX's at the rear with a VX100 sub. THis has been a very pleasant combo which I have been very happy with.

Times change and I have a new dedicated "cinema" rioom now. I have been thinking or moving to 7.1 and better video switching (careful now).

Tag seem to want an awful lot of money from me to upgrade (in fact it seems cheaper to buy a new item and then sell the old one) and I'm in a little quandry?

Stay with Tag? Try out Parasound's Halo, or others? (at this price there are options...)

I'd very much like to hear the group ideas.

Aside from the audio, I'm starting to feel that I should keep the video swucthing separate iScan/Centre Stage/Faroudja.

Any comments?

Look forward to amy comments/ Views etc

Many thanks in advance

Bren

2. bmurphygbr

bmurphygbr
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I should also point out that my typing is awful!!

3. siluro

siluro
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    hey bmurphygbr

I like the pro power combo you use, sounds very familiar:D . If your still using the 96kz dacs then a nice step up would be the 192kz dacs, i hant heard the 96 versions but if you search on the forum youl find they get a big thumbs up, they would set you back about £4-500 i think tho and of cause im well happy with them. The next step if you stayed tag would be the dual sharc which you can find out more about on the forun again but that upgrade would set you back about £1500, but from what i read sounds well worth.

Sorry i carnt sugest any alternatives but i love tag pro's and im sure others can help with the others on the market:smashin:

4. mlinhares

mlinhares
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Obviously stay with the best, i.e. Tag.

5. dts_boy

dts_boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    bmurphygbr, i upgraded from a tag av32r to parasound halo earilier this year for pretty much the same reasons as you are facing now! i have m&k s125 (LCR) and ss150 (surround). i too thought the upgrade prices were a lot so i got the halo pre/power. the sound is a lot smoother and musically more to my liking - the tag was a bit clinical (call it what you like) and i preferred the soudn of the halo. don't rule out the lexicon mc8 and the arcam av8, i listend to them too and the arcam was more of a side step from tag and the lexicon although better, wasn't much better (imo). as ffor video switching, let the scaler do all the work:smashin:

6. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +520
    I suggest you check out the thread entitled "Bryston vs Tag" for some useful opinions.

Please also click here for information on why not doing searches and asking questions that have been asked before will result in the end of civilisation and the extinction of the human race.

7. bmurphygbr

bmurphygbr
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nicolas, many thanks for your response. I have searched this forum many times for answers and have picked up a lot of information from members (well mainly you and DTS_Boy to be honest) about the relative merits of the Tag/Bryston.

I read your story about the "newbies". Yes it must constantly feel that way sometimes.

I guess my real sticking point is the almost outrageous upgrade costs from Tag. I know my Av32R is vintage 1999, but the costs quoted on the online upgrade advisor are MORE than buying a new unit!

If I'm going to look elsewhere then I may end up being "known" in every av shop in and around London. :devil:

At the moment, from what has been said before and again in response to my post, I'll try to listen to the Bryston SP7.1, AV32R DS, AV192 and the Parasound Halo C1 or C2 with my own speakers and see what sounds best to my ears.

Whatever I do end up buying, I can still sell the AV32R separately.

Now to sweet talk some friendly dealers.

I'll report back in a couple of weeks.

Many thanks for the responses.;)

Bren

8. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +520
    As far as I know there is no sonic difference between the dual-SHARC AV32R and the AV192R, and very little between the Halo C1 and C2.

9. lovegroova

lovegroova

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +294
    I would recommend you contact the helpdesk at Tag for an accurate assessment of the upgrade cost, as there is no way it should cost more to upgrade than to buy a new unit, unless you are mistaken about the cost of a new unit.

10. Steve Bate

Steve Bate

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    It sounds like you've selected items to upgrade that require stepping up to the AV192R, if you just want to upgrade the audio then you'll need the 192Khz DACs and EX upgrade certainly not more expensive than a new AV32Rbp192, the next step is adding Dual Processor to give you Room Equalisation (TAG's TMREQ) again this wont be any more expensive than a new AV32RDP, if you included any of the video switching this is cetainly AV192R and they start at about £6K I think, the upgrade costs are not expensive IMHO, if you go for an EX DP machine there's little can touch it at retail price and you'd have it for just the upgrade cost.

As already mentioned, give the help desk a shout, they're very helpful

Steve

11. lfletcher

lfletcher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    bmurphygbr
    I agree with lovegroova and steve, either give the helpdesk a call or get a retailer to do it (if you go through a retailer make sure they actually call Tag and dont just use the prices they have - I havent found one retailer that can quote me an accurate price).
    I had the same issues as you have when using the website - to upgrade a 2001 AV32R I was quoted £8500 via the website which went down to £6k when I phoned Tag!

Laurence

12. bmurphygbr

bmurphygbr
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'll have to run through the AV32DP upgrade costs again, but using the web site to cost out an AV192 starter kit to buy new with 12 months warranty came to £5995. To upgrade from my AV32R to this same starter kit level (using my motherboard) plus a 12 month warranty addition came to £6010.89!

Crazy it seems.

I'll take the advice offered and call Tag direct.

One reason for considering the AV192 now is for the potential of adding the PSM192 and VSM2048.

I guess I should pop over to the relevant forum to investigate this aspect further.

Cheers

Bren