Upgrade from Athlon64 3500+ Options?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by GaryK26, Dec 31, 2006.

1. GaryK26

GaryK26

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    Hi,

My current system is running an AMD64 3500+ (939) and I was wondering what my upgrade options are.....

Can I simply upgrade just the processor to something faster (if so, what processors), or do I have to upgrade more components due to things like clock speeds?

Cheers
    Gary

2. BigBry

BigBry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It depends upon the motherboard (assuming you're keeping this?) but you may well be able to just get a dual core 939 and change it over.

However dual core 939's are hard to source now and you may have to go 2nd hand for one (I've got a 3 month old 4400+ x2 I'll probably be selling very soon via ebay). :D

3. Decadent Fool

Decadent Fool

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Why do you need to upgrade; what do you feel the machine lacks? It may be that a new chip may not be required, but more ram or better graphics card (for example).

4. jezzer256

jezzer256

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +164
    The above is very important. That CPU will be fine in most of today's tasks - however if you do lots of media encoding or whatever, you may need a dual core CPU. The obvious choice would be to buy an Athlon 939 X2, but you'd get better performance if you were to replace the motherboard with an LGA775 model and buy a Core2 CPU.

Jez

5. Vandiesel

Vandiesel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    As already, you may be able to drop a dual core cpu in if the board can take and if you can find one at a decent price. Another option is add some more memory, or if you know anything about overclocking your cpu, then you may give it a try, but read up on it. Your specs would also be helpful as the use for the system