• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Upgrade from an Onkyo TX SR805...

KRW

As title, I've had my Onkyo 805 for a good year or two now, and was wondering where to go if I upgraded. Looking at the 818 for a while as it seemed to have a good spec for music but the 929 is tempting too. Anyone upgraded from an 805 to a 929 and are there any things to be wary of?

I do love my 805. I've never had such a tank-like receiver before, it's a brute. It's great for music in the pure audio mode, how does the 929 compare? Apols if there's a thread for the 929 but I couldn't find it.

337GUS

I have an Onkyo 905 and am looking at an upgrade, be interested if you get a demo of the 929, did you see the 838 was coming out this month?

KRW

No, not seen that one. I'd only just read about the 929, now you've confused things. :)

Hmm..838 doesn't appeal to me that much, looks like a slightly pared down 929? As I say, I'm very happy with my 805, so it would have to be a big upgrade for me to switch and messing around with 9.2 appeals to me. I'm surprised there isn't a thread for the 929.

Also now looking at the Denon X4000 and a Pioneer one.

337GUS

I'm not sure there would be a huge lift in performance, the amps in the 805/905 were supposed to punch above their weight.

I've been looking at a few options, I've an Oppo 103 to try out, going direct into the 905 used purely as a power amp.

You could maybe get a used AV Pre like a 5509 for the new formats and 9.2 and use the 805 as a power amp and add a cheap stereo amp for the extra 2 channels or a really good one for your mains if you wanted to boost music performance.

Obviously there's a space and heat issue with the extra box.

KRW

Yeah, I'm not that interested in 9.2 to go for any multibox solutions. It would be a 'nice to have' rather than something to put effort into achieving. Similarly, the network features look nice but, again, not sure how much I'd use them. The Audyssey on the 805 is pretty basic, so I'd be interested in how the new one works.

That's why I was wondering if anyone had upgraded from an 805. I found an old thread where some people had upgraded to a 818 and that seemed to give a lift in performance but there doesn't seem to be much love for the 929 - it's currently £799 at Peter Tyson which seems like a bargain. Can't find many reviews of it either.

The heat issue is a biggie. The 805 runs incredibly hot to the extend that I've fitted external fans over the HDMI ports to try to nullify any issues. Seems to work, it's been used 4-6 hours a day ever since I bought it (from here, second hand no less) and it's been absolutely fine.

337GUS

KRW

Yeah, I found that thread, doesn't really end well for the 929, though. My main reason for sticking with Onkyo is because I've liked the 805 so much and I'd like the Audyssey with the 929. I might just leave it for now. I've been looking a the Pioneer LXs...not sure, I had a Pioneer many years ago and I didn't get on with it. I'm sure they've improved since the 90s (!) but once bitten...

Also, is there a simple guide anywhere, that anyone knows of, for the ins and outs of adding an amplifier to a receiver? It's occurred to me that I could keep my 805 purely for the brilliant amplification and just use the 929 for processing. Anyone done anything similar?

Apothis

I recently upgraded from an 805 to a Pioneer LX57, and I think its a much bigger improvement in sound than I was expecting. I was pretty happy with how the 805 sounded, but it had the issue with the broken display, and limited number of HDMI ports was becoming a pain, hence the change. But the Pioneer sounds much more dynamic and clear when compared to the 805.

KRW

Thanks, yeah, that was one of the ones I was looking at, but lack of Audyssey puts me off. Has it got true .2 sound though, meaning that you can calibrate subwoofers independently? One of the things I've learned about the 929 is that it's .2 setting is basically one split into two which is the same as I have now except that I use a splitter. I've got a sub and a Clark Synthesis transponder thing which would be handy to be able to calibrate separately.

I think my problem is I'm a fussy sod and need things most people probably don't. I need a phono input with a ground loop, which the Onkyo has but the Pioneers and Denons don't seem to have (they have phono input but no ground loop that I can see). I'd also like to be able to bi-amp the front speakers without it being at the expense of going for front/high at a future date.

Streaming and network features, not much of an issue.

Last edited:

Apothis

I was a little concerned about the lack of audyssey too as its always given me good results, but read lots of good things about the Pioneer MCACC, and it seems to be have set things up pretty well. Pretty sure the .2 channels are identical, so you cant set them up seperately. But I think thats normal isnt it? No idea about phono inputs, didnt even know it had one :) And it has the 9 channels of amp, so if you want surround backs and front heights/wides, you're not going to be able to bi-amp as well.

Generally I think the network features on these things are pretty much gimmicks, but I'm surprised how much I've been using the dlna function for casting music from Google Music. I have a Chromecast setup to do that with, but sometimes its also cool to run it with the tv off (Chromecast is powered from tv usb, as the amp one is powering the wireless adapter).

Obviously you need to get whatevers closest to meeting your own needs, but I've been very pleased with how much better it sounds than the 805 did.

KRW

That is helpful, thanks, nice to know an upgrade would improve the sound at least. I'm happy to wait for something to suggest itself to me. If anyone has any suggestions around the £1k mark, or more (I don't mind waiting for a secondhand bargain) I'd be interested.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom