Upgrade from an Infocus IN80 any idea's!

silverback1

Been awhile since I have posted but always check into see what's new....so after idea's from IN80 owners who have upgraded....what have you moved onto and has it been a worth while improvement....:smashin:

kbfern

Distinguished Member
What is your budget?

silverback1

Not really set a budget at the moment,I was waiting to see if anyone had moved on from an IN80 and what they had gone too for an upgrade....have always been impressed with JVC units but having a lounge as our viewing room didnt feel we would get the best out of one (white ceiling and cream wall syndrome)....have had thoughts that it may be time to upgrade the screen first,currently using a Beamax 92" manual....one of the reasons for a possible change is we would like a slightly bigger screen and due to the size of our room the IN80 will not go much larger,they do seem to have a long throw compaired to most....lounge size is approx. 16'x11'6...would really like to be able to display something between 106"-120"....my brother in law uses an Epson with pretty good results,defo brighter image but blacks are not quiet as good as the Infocus,not sure of the model but think it was around 1200.00 last year when he bought it...so maybe something like an Epson 6000 or maybe a 9000 if the difference is worth the extra or maybe the cheaper model with a better screen...was waiting to see if any member had any thoughts after owning an IN80 :)

kbfern

Distinguished Member
Well if your room is on the light side a Draper React II would be the way to go the trouble is you won't see much change from £1500 for a 100-120" screen.

Then as far as the pj is concerned a 6000 will not give that good a black level compared to the 9000 which itself will set you back £2500 approx so an all in cost of £4k.

Raine

Unless the OP has the luxury of going for a React2 fixed screen, which should be around £800-£900 for a 100". :smashin:

silverback1

Unless the OP has the luxury of going for a React2 fixed screen, which should be around £800-£900 for a 100". :smashin:
Fixed frame is out due to the fact that our plasma is set in wall and the screens drops down in front for film viewing....otherwise it would of been alot cheaper option..have noticed that the React 11 doesnt seem to work or is not so popular with lower output pj's...would this screen not be a good match for something like a JVC X30 or similar...so looking at going the new screen option plus a new pj we as you say are looking at the 4k+...will have to give it some serious thought bit more than I would like to lay out in one go...may have to be pj first then screen later,no point buying a larger screen if the IN80 cant fill it....thanks for your replies ;)

kbfern

Distinguished Member
The react II works better with higher output pj's like the 9000 if you want to do most of your viewing in the day with some ambient light.If you want to view more at night it should work with the X30.

I would talk with Allan at Ideal AV or Ricky at Kalibrate who are the dealers in the Uk Allan is in the North while Ricky in the south if you want a demo or more specific info regards to which pj's will work and under what conditions.

silverback1

The react II works better with higher output pj's like the 9000 if you want to do most of your viewing in the day with some ambient light.If you want to view more at night it should work with the X30.

I would talk with Allan at Ideal AV or Ricky at Kalibrate who are the dealers in the Uk Allan is in the North while Ricky in the south if you want a demo or more specific info regards to which pj's will work and under what conditions.
Will give it some thought then contact either Allan or Ricky....thanks

martian1

I have an Infocus x10 which [touch wood] has been fantastic. I may if funds allow upgrade next year so i am also interested in anyone who has moved on from infocus and what the newer Projectors are like in comparison...what projector would better the x10 for around £1200 :thumbsup:

kbfern

Distinguished Member
Different rather than better at that price, you will need to jump up in level to £2k+ to something like a JVC X30 2D machine to see much better quality.

If you buy used a JVC HD350 for £1k or Optoma HD82 for similar money although new HD82's are still about for £1400 approx.Other than that as I said you need to jump up to £2k+.

martian1

So for around the same price i paid for the x10 but in todays market i can expect little or no improvement? I have spent over £2500 in the past for a pj then upgraded from a 720p to 1080p [x10] and i knocked 1k off the price the improvement was day and night. I was hoping 3 years later to not only beat the x10 but have a decent 3D pj as well for the same sort of money. I cannot justify an extra grand for half decent 3D and a tweak in 2D performance or great 2D and poor 3D [jvc] i might just be a tight bugger though :blush: built my fixed screen for £25 and to me its fantastic :lesson:

kbfern

Distinguished Member
There was a big jump in performance around 3-4 yrs ago when 1080p became affordable for the masses and projectors like the Optoma HD20 Infocus X10 etc came along for around £1k and completely blew away the 720p projectors.

Last year we had 3D introduced but at the £1k region the Optoma HD33/300x or Epson TW5900/6000 offer not any real improvement in picture other than 3D over their non 3D models HD20/200x TW3200/3600.

You really have to look at the higher priced stuff as you did before to jump up a level in performance.JVC's have always had superb 2D performance but 3D is not as good as others.Epsons TW9000 is very good with 2D and very good 3D which is about the same as Sony 30ES.If you like DLP which probably has the best 3D out there the Optoma HD83 is around £2k.

All the above are a good step up from what you have now with the bonus of 3D, if 3D is of no interest as I said there are a few Optoma HD82's around which at £1400 or less would offer a decent improvement over what you have now or like I said a low hours used JVC HD350 for £1k would be a great buy and a few have been sold in the last few months in the classified.
Even used X3 and X30's are now appearing at £1300-1800 so keep your eyes peeled for a bargain.

martian1

Thanks kbfern :thumbsup: i have seen the jvc in the classifieds looks a bargain pity i cannot afford it at the moment :(

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic HZ2000 4K OLED TV Review | The best OLED for movie viewing in 2020
Top Bottom