Upgrade from an Arcam Solo Movie 5.1?

Digger

Good Morning Chaps,

Will be purchasing a Panasonic V20 or maybe a VT20 soon and feel that I need to upgrade the "hub" of my system. Also will step into the world of Blu-Ray and associated hi-def audio. Have been very happy with the Arcam but feel its time for a change. But what to I have no idea.

Is there such a system similar to the Arcam box that can cope with the latest audio and video tech?

I have a few SACD and DVD-A discs as well so compatibility would be good but not essential. Space is limited hence the desire for an all-in-one option. Speakers are currently humble Quad-Lites and a SVS SB12+.

I would be more than happy to buy separates but initially would prefer single box solutions?

I need to do some research as I am very out of touch at the moment but any comments would be very welcome.

Confusing post I know but I am finding my A/V feet again.

:)

PSM1

Distinguished Member
I do not know of an all in one bluray system that will be as comparable to your current Arcam. Arcam have just released a separate bluray player so you never know they may end up making a bluray solo but I suspect if they do it will not be for some time yet.
If you want to maintain your current sound performance then I am afraid you are going to have to go for a separate bluray player and AV reciever. What would your budget be?

Digger

Budget? Hmmm not sure. Let's say £1'500 This is fairly flexible though meaning more OR less.

Absolutely must have Sound Quality as top priority as picture can be fed direct if needs be. May even consider a slimmish Pre/Pro?

PSM1

Distinguished Member
What speakers are you currently using with the Arcam?
£1.5k is a good budget and you could get a nice BD player and reciever with that. Although it will not be a one box solution you should be able to maintain if not improve on your current sound quality. If not interested in 3D TV (1.4 HDMI) then I would look at the Yamaha 3900 which is currently being sold at a great price.
HD processors I feel are going to be a fair bit over your budget unfortunately.

Digger

As per my OP am running 5 Quad Lites and an SVS SB12+ sub.

As for budget it can be stretched by some margin but only have a small living room and space is at a premium so feel its not worth spending too much extra tbh.

Is there such a player that handles BR/SACD/DVD-A?

MI55ION

Distinguished Member
As per my OP am running 5 Quad Lites and an SVS SB12+ sub.

As for budget it can be stretched by some margin but only have a small living room and space is at a premium so feel its not worth spending too much extra tbh.

Is there such a player that handles BR/SACD/DVD-A?
Easy, Oppo BDP83. (SE version if you want to go exotic). Or if you can wait a little longer the BDP93 is coming soon.

Add Audiolab 8000AP AV Processor Silver at Audio Affair

and

Audiolab 8000X7 7 Channel Power Amplifier at Audio Affair

and you'll have yourself a killer system. Compact(ish) too.

Digger

Thanks Mi55ion. I used to own an Audiolab 8000A Integrated and a great bit of kit it was too, but having read up on the pre/power kit above I cant help thinking that given the amount I may well end up spending that I'd prefer a bit more modernity included! Latest codecs, 3D hdmi 1.4, wifi/ethernet etc etc? :smashin:

Would the current Yams and Onks be of interest to me?

I can see this turning into a bit of a headache! :D

PS The Oppo 83/93 look interesting.

PPS Which manufacturer makes the porthole-styled Receiver? Quite liked the look of that one!

MI55ION

Distinguished Member
Thanks Mi55ion. I used to own an Audiolab 8000A Integrated and a great bit of kit it was too, but having read up on the pre/power kit above I cant help thinking that given the amount I may well end up spending that I'd prefer a bit more modernity included! Latest codecs, 3D hdmi 1.4, wifi/ethernet etc etc? :smashin:

Thing is Digger, ask yourself what it is it you want? Similar to what you had before or a substantial improvement where you can really hear an improvement and not sit there later trying to justify your purchase. My suggestion was only based on your given budget and on the assumption that sound quality was of primary importance.

As for modernity, well...

Latest codecs: not required. LPCM is all you'll need if you're using a blu-ray player.

HDMI 1.4: 8000AP will be upgradeable to 1.4 for 3d support. Alternatively wait till January and just get the 8200AP (£1200).

Wifi/Ethernet: You've lost me.

Sure Onkyo, Yamaha, Denon etc can work, decent sound and all the 'features' you can dream of. However from a purely 'audio' point of view the above combo would be my recommendation. Depends what you need/want really...

eaglemmoomin

Novice Member

PS The Oppo 83/93 look interesting.

PPS Which manufacturer makes the porthole-styled Receiver? Quite liked the look of that one!
You can do! But your budget will have to go up! Because you have Arcam kit I'd say go Arcam as you clearly like it! But you'll have to spend a huge wodge of cash. As Mission says I'd certainly buy an 8000X7 because they can be had for 650 new (lowest I've seen them) online and is a decent piece of kit (and they work nicely with Quads :smashin:) plus a half decent second hand power amp will cost you 500ish notes and up anyway. That leave 800ish notes that will get you an 8000AP with a bit spare if you dig around. Job done at your budget. Otherwise look at either the Marantz AV7005 or the latest Onky processor. But that one of those pre/power sets will set you back at least 2000. But will cover you for all the bells you mentioned. Because music is a high priority I'd be looking at a pre/pro personally.

As stated LPCM is all you really really need to get HD audio out of your system and the 8000AP will do that for you. There is a planned upgrade path for the 8000AP to allow 3D capability by replacing the 8000AP boards (I believe) but I wouldn't count on it appearing straight away and I suspect 8200AP production will be deemed more important that 8000AP upgrades.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Marantz SR7015 & NAD T 778 AVR + Mission LX2 MKII Speaker Reviews, AV & Film News and More
Top Bottom