• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

upgrade from amd 64 x2 5600+

grettin

Standard Member
hi all, I have been thinking about upgrading my computer and thanks to a helpful person in another post (http://www.avforums.com/forums/graphics-cards-internal-video-devices/1175588-gfx-card-upgrade.html) I believe my cpu is the way to go.

now I found this page (CPU-Upgrade: ASUS M3A32-MVP DELUXE cpu support and features) for my motherboard, which is an asus m3a32-mvp deluxe, and was wondering if I could just upgrade the cpu or would I have to get a new motherboard too?

if I can just upgrade the cpu then from that page ^ would say a phenom x4 be best and are they still 64bit? because I am using a 64 bit os.

thank you in advance for your help.

cpu: amd 64 x2 5600+
ram: 2x2Gb
Gfx: nvidia GTX285

anything else you need to know pleas ask.

tekman

Standard Member
It depends whether you are staying with AMD or if you want to change maybe to intel. I am about to upgrade my 5600+ X2 to the intel core i5 and the Asus P755D Pro motherboard. I decided to do it as if i wanted to i can upgrade to i7 and also put in the extra RAM graphics cards or otherwise. 3x Pci express. This is good if you look to upgrade in the future.

Skillfullorange

Standard Member
A Phenom II x4 is the best you could go, the 955 or 965 BE.

+1 to that

I wouldn't see a point in changing to intel if you already have the board and ram (as the ram would need upgrading aswell ) so it would be costing you a extra 200+ to change to Intel ,for a small performance gain over the AMD Phenom II X4 965.

Last edited:

tekman

Standard Member
+1 to that

I wouldn't see a point in changing to intel if you already have the board and ram (as the ram would need upgrading aswell ) so it would be costing you a extra 200+ to change to Intel ,for a small performance gain over the AMD Phenom II X4 965.

But the old AM2 motherboards do not support the newer AM3 processors unless manufactures have released an update which they never would as this way they make more money. This means a new motherboard and also new ram. Worth looking for some new deals/bundles on things like OcUK see what they have. I just think you might have a problem of upgrading without the newer motherboards.

ND40oz

Standard Member
But the old AM2 motherboards do not support the newer AM3 processors unless manufactures have released an update which they never would as this way they make more money. This means a new motherboard and also new ram. Worth looking for some new deals/bundles on things like OcUK see what they have. I just think you might have a problem of upgrading without the newer motherboards.

He posted what motherboard he has and it clearly supports the Phenom II 955 and 965 with bios 1903.

http://support.asus.com/cpusupport/cpusupport.aspx?SLanguage=en-us&model=M3A32-MVP DELUXE&product=1

synixx

Established Member
just to let you know theres someone looking for a 5600x2 in the for sale/wanted section if you decide to upgrade :)

its not me though lol

grettin

Standard Member
Just to let you know I got the 965 BE, The reason I wanted to keep this motherboard was to cut costs for a little while, I plan on upgrading my motherboard and ram when I get some more cash together.

Thanks for your help,

Oh and also do you know if the guy still wants the 5600x2? I couldn't find the post but I still have the chip sat next to me here in the packaging my new one came in. If he still after one that is.

Thanks again, No doubt I'll be back looking for m/board recommendations before long.

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom