Upgrade from A75 plus -> A80

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by gabweb, Mar 19, 2006.

Tags:
  1. gabweb

gabweb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello

I think about an upgrade of my gear (CD73, A75+, B&W CM2, Atacama SE stands). I love the sound of my speakers and thought about upgrade the A75+ to an A80.
    What do you think?
    Thanks

2. ChrisM

ChrisM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I currently have an A80 bi-amped with a P90, having previously run a similar set-up with A75/P75. The A80 was a step up but I would recommend an audition or two before deciding. The p90 is definitely another move forward, giving that little bit more current and much tighter bass. A better option may be to add a P90 to the A75+. Let your ears decide.

3. mlilliman

mlilliman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    A more cost efficient solution may be to bi-amp the B&W CM2s with a P80 as opposed to the P90. Standmount speakers such as the CM2s are not an overly difficult load on the amp though, and you may be better off with the superior pre-amp section of the A80 (compared to the A75+).

I've just purchased B&W's new CM1s to partner my A80 and CD82, after auditioning them alongside KEF's iQ5 (quite good) and Monitor Audio's RS6 (very good).

I wouldn't say Arcam and B&W are the most exciting listen, but the A80 is a very musical performer in that it inevitably gets my foot tapping whatever the music. While it doesn't shine in one particular area, perhaps having no obvious weaknesses is its strongest point.

One thing that is handy about the A80 is that you can partner it with an AV amp and pre-set the volume for the av channel. The front 2 speakers in your home cinema set-up can then be driven by the A80 and used seperately for music in stereo without fiddling with the volume. It's a great function if you listen to music more than movies and don't have the room (or budget!) for two set-ups.

4. gabweb

gabweb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you for your recommendations.
    I will try the options ( A80 against bi-amping w/P80-90), I never tried bi-amping. I read many threads where not everyone "feel" the improvement with bi-amping.
    mlilliman, the A75+ also have the processor function, nice :)

Thanks

5. Tazz

Tazz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think it also depends on whether the speakers work better when bi-amped.
    I bi-amp and A80 & P80, and both with my Missions, and now Wilson benesch, the output sounded better when bi-amped. I don't understand the physics, and may be it's a psycholgical, but having bi-amped the music sounds richer, and tad more oomph.

Tazz