Upgrade from a Sony KD65X9005A any recommendations?

silverback1

Upgrade from a Sony KD65X9005A any recommendations? For those not familiar the Sony KD65X9005A was one of the first 4k tv's on the market having had ours since May 2014 with no issues.
This was a pretty expensive tv when it came out, think we are talking £6000 so guess flagship level. Excellent 3d,no HDR but even so excellent display.
Just need some info as to what to move to next or do I leave well alone and wait till she gives up the ghost?
Guessing a few members have had one of these so it would be good to know where people went as an upgrade.

Would prefer to not go down the Oled route and I like the way Sony displays perform, natural imagine, good with motion, must be 75" no bigger,so would really like to stay with Sony.

I guess the biggest question is how high up the range do I need to go to better our current tv.

Any thought would be much appreciated.

tvdavid

the 2 best led sets

LCDseeker

Distinguished Member
It's not a great time to be looking as the prices don't really start to fall until the new year unless you get lucky with a Black Friday deal. Based on you wanting to stick with Sony if you can't find an XH9505 then I'd hold on for the X95J to fall in price, or look at the Samsung mentioned above, but it is equally very expensive. If you do look at an OLED then it seems the Sony A90J is winning many plaudits so I'd be very tempted with that.

silverback1

Thanks for the responses, I had also looked at the Sony KD-75ZH8 75" 8K UHD Full Array HDR Smart LED TV, the price looks very good but from some research unless you are feeding it a really good signal, seems it can struggle with standard Sky hd so guessing standard def would be a real struggle which is no surprise given it's an 8k panel, shame as with 4k content by all accounts it really excels.
The Sony X95J is looking promising, I would like to see it against the X90J to see how much difference there is between the two as price wise there is a huge difference.
Maybe a little more thought needed and also a trip to see some of the new models in the flesh.

Mallett94

Distinguished Member
Thanks for the responses, I had also looked at the Sony KD-75ZH8 75" 8K UHD Full Array HDR Smart LED TV, the price looks very good but from some research unless you are feeding it a really good signal, seems it can struggle with standard Sky hd so guessing standard def would be a real struggle which is no surprise given it's an 8k panel, shame as with 4k content by all accounts it really excels.
The Sony X95J is looking promising, I would like to see it against the X90J to see how much difference there is between the two as price wise there is a huge difference.
Maybe a little more thought needed and also a trip to see some of the new models in the flesh.
There will be little difference between the XJ90 and XJ95 when watching basic Sky HD content and/or SD content. Even SDR 4K content the image would be very similar. Where the main differences are between the 90 and 95 are the HDR capabilites. The XJ95 is far far far better for HDR content which is most new content these days on Netflix, Prime Video, Disney+, Apple TV + etc.

It depends what your viewing habits are and what kind of content you are planning to consume.

silverback1

There will be little difference between the XJ90 and XJ95 when watching basic Sky HD content and/or SD content. Even SDR 4K content the image would be very similar. Where the main differences are between the 90 and 95 are the HDR capabilites. The XJ95 is far far far better for HDR content which is most new content these days on Netflix, Prime Video, Disney+, Apple TV + etc.

It depends what your viewing habits are and what kind of content you are planning to consume.
HDR will be a new experience, hopefully it will be worth the outlay. Not long after buying our present tv all everyone could talk about was HDR and without it the resolution on it's own meant you were not getting anywhere near the potential of 4k,finger's crossed we will be suitably impressed.
Current viewing is mainly Sky Q mainly HD,Netflix,Prime Video and of cause the Blu-ray player with a mixture of 1080p and 4k content, we have no interest in gaming, enjoy the footie and the Formula 1,in 4k I love films and having the benefit of a pj which adds that cinematic feel although we don't use it all that often so I thought invest in a larger screen tv.
Can you explain the far greater performance benefits with HDR of the XJ95 would I be correct in thinking this is the added pop which people seem to refer to, with not experiencing HDR at all difficult to know exactly what to expect, thanks.

LCDseeker

Distinguished Member
HDR will be a new experience, hopefully it will be worth the outlay. Not long after buying our present tv all everyone could talk about was HDR and without it the resolution on it's own meant you were not getting anywhere near the potential of 4k,finger's crossed we will be suitably impressed.
Current viewing is mainly Sky Q mainly HD,Netflix,Prime Video and of cause the Blu-ray player with a mixture of 1080p and 4k content, we have no interest in gaming, enjoy the footie and the Formula 1,in 4k I love films and having the benefit of a pj which adds that cinematic feel although we don't use it all that often so I thought invest in a larger screen tv.
Can you explain the far greater performance benefits with HDR of the XJ95 would I be correct in thinking this is the added pop which people seem to refer to, with not experiencing HDR at all difficult to know exactly what to expect, thanks.

I wondered what all the HDR fuss was about until I got the XH95 and then I understood. It's not earth shatteringly extreme but the highlights and colours on the good HDR sources really do stand out and make it well worth watching. I can only presume it will the same, if not better on the X95J although I've read some reports about a slight loss in contrast I really don't think you're going to notice that.

The latest video from AVForums

Sony Bravia XR A80J OLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom