upgrade from a Sanyo PLV30 ?

karkus30

Ex Member
Reaction score
Probably wishful thinking :rolleyes: but if I had some spare change lying around, what would be worth buying that would be a substantial upgrade from the PLV30 ?

Budget would be around 3K, plus whatever I could get for the PLV30.

Hi Karkus
Have a Look at the Benq 8700, 2000:1 contrast, 1280x720 HD2
£3200
After 18 months with my ae100 :) it's time for upgrade

Reading between the lines on peoples comments with regard to their various newer LCD PJs, it probably isn't a big enough step up. Buns for example reckons that his Z2 is no better at black levels than was his old PLV30. I have read about VB and red push on Z2 and AE500. I don't get any such issues on my PLV30. When I go for an upgrade I'm definately going demo some of the newer DLP PJs various Sharp models seem to receiving ggod reviews.

Cheers

Croc

im in the same boat as croc, those sim2 pjs are just crying to be brought. is there ever gonna be a model of pj we are all happy with with for many years

I used to have a PLV30, but got the bug for going 16:9 so much so I got a AE100 when they were reduced to £799. Overall I was happy with the change but the PLV30 did indeed have better blacks. One main gripe with the PLV30 was its noise, compared to th AE100 in low mode its like a helicopter taking off!
I am waiting for delivery of a AE500 which will (hopefully) supply all my needs blacks, 16:9, hi-def and low noise.
What I'm saying is if you can stand the noise and dont really want 16:9 then stick with the PLV30 as the picture quality on them is stunning.

What I'm saying is if you can stand the noise and dont really want 16:9 then stick with the PLV30 as the picture quality on them is stunning.
.....given that the 16:9 mode is excellent anyway, the simple way to deal with the remaining issue, that of stray light, is to mask the screen area. It's only really the same issue as with native 16:9 PJ when playing true widescreen material. I.E it's still got black (grey) bars top and bottom that need to be masked for best results.

As to the noise issue, that is they only major gripe for me too. I suppose a hush box would do the trick, but as I set mine up each time I use, It becomes a little tricky.

Croc

Yes I too have a PLV30 and am still very happy with its picture compared to the other projectors on the market I have seen

True too that there is no Vertical banding problems which seems to be effecting alot of the wide screen projectors these days

i use velet curtains framing the screen so you dont see any stray light from the 4:3 panel, also reducing the brightness does lower the fan noise slightly, but unless you listen for it, it doesnt distract from normal viewing.

Thanx for the replies, looks like I shall just put that phantom money back in my pocket.

I dont relly have a big problem with the fan noise on the Sanyo, as I only hear it during quiet scenes and I can live with that.

Same with the extraneous light at the edges, never really noticed.

Maybe look at a DLP in a couple of years, prices will have dropped and performance will have increased.

I was wondering the very same things but having read all your comments I'll no longer feel the urge to spend the money I haven't got :)

I agree about the noise but I've never got around to making a hush box either. It's not distracting during most films.

Since I started using theatertek dvd and reclock while running the PJ at 75hz the usual micro stuttering has gone away too and seems to have given the picture a new lease of life as pans no longer jerk along.

A higher resolution would be nice as I do notice the panel structure every now and again but it sounds like I should certainly wait a year or two before looking for an upgrade.

Just bringing this one out of the cupboard again :) My brother has only recently bought a PJ, I think its a Sony and the PQ was dreadful compared to my PLV30 (which is still working beautifully and doing stirling service).

So, two years on. Gawd, it really is that long!The question remains the same, but this time we now have the possible effect of HD to add into the melting pot. The PLV has 1080i setting, so does that mean its compatible with HD ?? Will this make any difference ? I had a brief look at an HD demo set up in Currys and it was incredibly good.

So, anything worth buying ?

Bump, bump, bumpety bump. No takers :( Not one reply !!

......well I've just done a comparison against my PLV30 with an Infocus X2 which as you will know is a cheapy DLP and by no means the state of the art either. It wiped the floor with my PLV30 both in terms of PQ and noise. The picture had much more depth and contrast and although you can still see a faint pixel structure, nothing like the chicken wire you get on the PLV30. Also the noise level was massively reduced. I'm gutted but the PLV30 has got to go:( Any one wont to by a cheap LCD PJ???

Croc

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom