1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Upgrade from a Paradigm PDR10 to a Velo CHT10 Sub??

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by Sheks, Apr 9, 2003.

1. Sheks

Sheks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Hi,

I have had the PDR10 for a couple of years now and feel it has given me reasonable service, but have been feeling that I maybe able to get a large performance increase for reasonable outlay, hence the CHT10.

I was considering the VX10 (money is quite tight these days (new daughter:smoke: )), but I am not sure that it would give a large performance increase for the money over the PDR10. I can just about scrape together enough for a CHT10 from the powerbuy, but would like to hear from anyone who has upgraded from a PDR10 to a CHT10 (or VX10).

I am also a little concerned about incorporating it into my system. At the mo I only use the PDR10 for movies (thru the denon 3802). It would be nice to also use the new sub for music, but I use a Roksan Kandy stereo integrated amplifier, which I don't think has a sub output on the back. If the sub is connected to the denon 3802, how can I listen to stereo CD replay with the Roksan and still benefit from the sub??

(The Roksan is acting as a power amplifier for movie use, connected to the denon 3802's pre-outs).

The rest of my equipment is in the signature below, if that makes any difference.

Thanks in advance.

Colin

2. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +461
    Can't comment on the relative merits of the PDR10 and the Velodyne's but ...

I think the only way you're going to get a sub working with music through your Roksan is by using the high level input of the sub. Unfortunately most subs can only have one of the two connections made at once so you will have to change cables depending what you're listening to. The RELs do allow both to be connected though most people will tell you the Velodyne is better for the money.

Vikki

3. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not too sure how you would personally rate the Paradiigm PDR10 against the Rel Q150e, but I went from the Q150 to the Velodyne CHT-10 and have never looked back.

Without dragging this post out... as far as for use listening to DVDs goes, the CHT-10 takes a big wee-wee all over the Q150 from a very great height :eek:

If you can spend another £325 on one item of kit and get a greater, more noticeable improvement from your home cinema system as a whole, I'd love to hear what you bought...

4. siluro

siluro
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I went from a PDR 10 to a CHT 10, the cht went in the same place and tho i didnt try them side by you really didnt need to the, difrent was huge. Theres a lot more power behind deep bass, so much tighter and goes sooooooo much lower.

Looking back now, as much as i loved my pdr and it was great for the cash it doesnt even really seem like it was sub. And as for build quality compared to the cht, well i aint even gona start.

cheers
    lee

5. Sheks

Sheks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Thanks for the swift replies.

Lee, was setting up the CHT difficult compared to the PDR10?

The CHT would have to go in the same place as my PDR10, is the CHT10 much bigger.

Thanks again.:smashin:

Colin

6. siluro

siluro
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi colin

Setting uo the cht was a walk in the park, i played with the pdr every time i put some music or a film on and never really found a happy medium but, the cht was flip it in to direct mode by the switch set the level a few notchs from the top and well i dont think ive touched it since.

As for the size, i dont think its much taller or wider but its a bit longer. The larger enclosure is how velo get thier deep base bass.

You really couldnt go wrong with the cht, you`d be suprised how good the rest of your setup sounds wth the velo.

cheers
    lee