Upgrade from a Onkyo SC5508

Discussion in 'AV Pre-Amp/Processors & Power Amps' started by saguk1234, Jan 11, 2012.

1. saguk1234

saguk1234

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +225
    Its that time again where I get bored and do something stupid like buying a £5000 processor. :facepalm:

I have seen a Denon AVP A1HDA (3D upgraded), Classe SSP800 (hdmi upgraded) and the ADA Suite 7.1HD and I think to myself, I only really watch movies and therefore am I going to notice a huge difference????

Can someone help me on this?

2. jason shep

jason shep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +365
    I think with XT32 onboard you have a processor that for movie sound will be hard to beat,I recently upgraded my AVP to XT32 & i think the improvement over XT is significant, you could probably get better results spending money on other bits of you're system or room :smashin:

3. indus

indus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,086
    What speakers do you have sag?

4. saguk1234

saguk1234

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +225
    I have xtz at the front and a m&k cs29 at the rear.

5. indus

indus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,086

I'm not familiar with your speakers though have heard positive things about them.

The reason I ask is that I feel people become obsessed with the avp and don't pay enough attention to the speakers. imho the speakers are far far more important than anything else.

If you have £5k burning a hole in your pocket spend it on better speakers. I'm pretty sure you would hear a marked improvemenr as opposed to the subtle one you may or may not hear with a new avp.

6. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,386
    Get some Genelecs ;)

7. saguk1234

saguk1234

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +225
    I would like to get some Genelecs! But I want to stick with floorstanders. Are there any active floorstanders? I think that the Onkyo SC5508 is a brilliant processor and I need to stop thinking about spending money for no valid reason.

8. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,386
    This is a tough one, but I can't help but think you'll be throwing money at something that will only yield small differences. I can't speak from experience on the Classe or the Denon (although I've heard the Denon once), but as you know I owned the Ada Suite 7.1 HD for a while (and still miss it).

The Ada is the best processor I've heard or owned, but in part it's because it's so good at both movies AND music. If it's for movies only, I honestly do think the differences become smaller...although they can still be there.

Then you have XT32 which can throw a big spanner in the works e.g. the Ada's PEQ might be powerful, but it'll cost you another £400 to get it calibrated, and even then - IIRC - it's for a single seat.

Why the need for floorstanders? Meridian do active floorstanders, but kiss the budget goodbye! :devil:

9. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,386
    You do...and your speakers are good too :)

10. saguk1234

saguk1234

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +225
    I had my XTZ 99.25 on Dreadnought Ultima stands and they looked awful compared to the 99.36 floorstanders. I have always wanted to own an expensive piece of equiptment but I don't think this is the way to do it.

11. jason shep

jason shep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +365
    I had standmounts for a while a couple of years ago,my wife & i didn't like the appearance so we went back to floor standers for that reason only,that's the trouble with not having a dedicated room,I'd consider wall mounting speakers in future now we have such powerful room correction though.

12. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,386
    Surely no form of room correction can be a substitute for good speaker placement? I know XT32 is powerful, but the general rules don't change :) Not saying that speakers can't sound good wall-mounted of course :)

Saguk, you already have decent equipment so save your money imho :) Ultimately, even when you own a high-end processor, it still just sits in the rack and outputs sound, and you soon forget what kit you have when you're absorbed into a good movie :)

13. saguk1234

saguk1234

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +225
    Thanks! I haven't really upgraded in a while and I am always looking to do a new project.

14. jason shep

jason shep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +365
    Close to wall placement mainly affects bass response,so when using a subbass system & removing the lower frequencies from the front speakers the rules do change,mid range & up frequencies beam like a torch & are more affected by side/ceiling/floor reflections that smear the imaging.

15. Darkstar_surfer

Darkstar_surfer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +200
    I know the felling and the result is my son now has a 42" plasma and Yamaha 2700 Receiver in his bedroom just so he could play his Wii and he is only 5. I still find my self prowling the forums praying there is something I can buy.