Upgrade from a Benq W1070 projector - help appreciated!

jimmymac87

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi guys. I had a Benq W1070 for a few years, and was really happy with it but it's given up and looking for a replacement.

It's setup in my basement (no natural light), approx. 3.5m away ceiling mounted. Projected onto a large wall. Firestick plugged in, with that connected to Bluetooth speaker. Ideally something a little quieter if that exists.

Budget ~ £500 to under £1k mark, but cheaper the better.

I was looking at the TH585 / TH685 or one of the Optoma HD145X / HD28e or EH-TW740. Or even one of the very budget 4k if its worth the extra. But essentially very clueless so any help much appreciated!

Last edited:
hi mate, i really dont know the pj market over there but i had a w1070 and changed to the w1110. i also run an epson ehtw8200 and have decided to stick with 1080p. i would rather upgrade the sound system than the veiwing side of things along with the 4k extras.. cables.. disks.. source player etc etc.

i only buy 2nd hand though as you get a better level for the same money as new. anyway the epson i have is so good for movies and the w1110 i prefer for gaming, decide what you do the most i guess. a very budget 4k pj... give me a not budget 2nd hand 8200/9200 at a budget price any day.

but as always your money your choice :)

I’m not sure you will gain much in PQ for less than £1k new unless you need 4K compatibility. From memory I still think my own W1070 was pretty decent, let down by its contrast and black level (and fan noise). I replaced mine with a secondhand JVC X35. It’s may well be old now but the upgrade from the 1070 was an absolutely massive, night and day difference. You should be able to pickup something similar for your budget or an older but higher end model from Epson/Sony/Panasonic.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom