Upgrade from 720p to 1080p. Yes or no?

Gonda

Standard Member
I have Sony VPL-HS20 (WXGA (1386 x 788)) with DA-LITE 92" screen for 5 years. Throwing and watching distances are 11'-12'. The room is fully light controlled. I am collecting (and watching) classic movies only (with few exceptions). Players connected to PJ are Pioneer DV-686, Toshiba HD DVD XA1 and Sony BD S500. They are also connected to a TV set Sony Bravia KDL 46W4570. I'd like to install 1080p projector and can not decide between Sony HW10, Panasonic AE3000 and Mitsubishi HC7000. I have few questions:
1. Which projector will you suggest? Maybe something else?
2. Shall I notice the significant improvement in PQ for Hi-Def sources?
3. Shall I notice any improvement in PQ for SD movies?
4. Is it better to wait some time, specially having in mind the very limited number of BD classic movies? I purchased all HD DVD and BD classic movies available up to now and there are no more than 50 of them.

Rickyj at Kalibrate

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
I have Sony VPL-HS20 (WXGA (1386 x 788)) with DA-LITE 92" screen for 5 years. Throwing and watching distances are 11'-12'. The room is fully light controlled. I am collecting (and watching) classic movies only (with few exceptions). Players connected to PJ are Pioneer DV-686, Toshiba HD DVD XA1 and Sony BD S500. They are also connected to a TV set Sony Bravia KDL 46W4570. I'd like to install 1080p projector and can not decide between Sony HW10, Panasonic AE3000 and Mitsubishi HC7000. I have few questions:
1. Which projector will you suggest? Maybe something else?
2. Shall I notice the significant improvement in PQ for Hi-Def sources?
3. Shall I notice any improvement in PQ for SD movies?
4. Is it better to wait some time, specially having in mind the very limited number of BD classic movies? I purchased all HD DVD and BD classic movies available up to now and there are no more than 50 of them.

I have had a HS20 in the past (about 2 years ago now), so it is very hard for me to give conclusive opinions on the questions you have asked, but would say that the black level will be better, and contrast ratio. The fan noise is significantly less also.

The other considerations are pixel mapping, and more refresh rates available. (24p was not available of the HS20, was it?)

Hereis a link to another users comparison shots with a HW10...

You may also wish to consider the Epsons, and also Infocus X10 (if you like DLP).

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom