Upgrade from 5.1 to 7.1

happhhitachi

Established Member
Reaction score
Currently running 5.1 but have new fronts due to arrive soon (B&W 684) which will free up the MS302's currently doing duty as front surrounds.
Next upgrade will be the centre to a matching B&W unit, followed later in the year with an Amp upgrade hopefully to a second user Yamaha DSP-Z9 or somthing in that class...

So whilst Amp grunt isnt currently too lacking (Yammy DSP-A2) something like a DSP-Z9 most definately wont struggle.

This leaves me wondering if I should take the oppportunity of using the soon to be redundant MS302's as front effect speakers and move to 7.1.
the cost would be small, wall mount brackets, some conduit and speaker cable. However the room is small 4m wide x 3.75 long x 2.75 high.

Would value your opinion here, is this worthwhile in a small room, would the extra 2x front surrounds make much difference?

Opinion/comment/suggestion? :lease:

Somebody must have upgraded fro 5.1 to 7.1 and have an opinion on this? :lease:

hi!!!
i suppose the best thing to do is give it a try, i personaly like 7.1 sound my room is a little bigger than the dimensions of your room. i am currently looking at upgrading my blu ray player to one that has 7.1 analogue output as there are quite a few bds with 7.1 pcm and i have a 7.1 speaker set up.
i am also a big fan of just getting the amp to give a matrix 7.1 sound i like the enveloping soundfield you get from this comfiguration. there are also a few 6.1 discrete and ex titles around on dvd as i am sure you are aware.
so if your asking my opinion i would say give it a go.
there is only one way to find out whether it will be overkill for your room size with the speakers you are wanting to use as suround backs and you could just get some cheap cable to give it all a try.
probably not really helpfull info but i have no experience with your amp and speakers but you get a bump to the top and maybe someone with better experience will comment.
best regards
nick.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom