upgrade from 5-1 B&W

Discussion in 'What Speakers Should I Buy?' started by grantpet, Sep 21, 2017.

1. grantpet

grantpet
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Hi there, I'd be v grateful with your views on the best route for me to go from my current 5-1 B&W mini theatre set up to an Atmos set up. My room is 6m by 7m and we sit about 4.4m from the TV. I've currently got 5 M1's and the PV1 sub. I want ceiling speakers and would like to retain some of the M1's for the side and rear but don't know to what extent they will need to be matched to the new Centre, Left, Right speakers that I'd like to get. the current set up is a bit lost in the space we now have. What size/type of speakers for Centre, Left, Right to retain(if possible) the M1's for side/rear?

thanks

2. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,440
    Have you looked at the B&W 600 series? These should be a reasonable match to the M1s since they are at least the same make. I assume your new place has space to the rear of the sofa to allow for the rear surrounds. B7W also make inceiling speakers I believe.

3. grantpet

grantpet
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    yes thx, the 600 series is definitely on the shortlist. I've got about 2 metres behind us

4. ashenfie

ashenfie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +585
    The side/rear speakers are less critical to match. It's the front three that must tonally match for good results.

5. grantpet

grantpet
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    thanks. I'll keep the M1's for surround and listen to some front three options. Do you have a view on floor standing vs bookshelf speakers. My room is 6m by 7m and we sit about 4.5m from the TV. unhelpfully most speaker literature refers to rooms as being one of small, medium or large

6. gibbsy

gibbsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,848
    Looking at your room dimensions then floorstanders are certainly an option. The main positioning with floorstanders is to keep them out of corners and not too close to the rear wall. Even with your smallest wall you can get away from the corners and still have a good three metre plus stereo seperation. As for cost then you have to take the cost of quality stands into account with the bookshelves.

If you stick with B&W then their floorstanders are very good in audio quality and looks. Like every bit of kit an audition is essential.