1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Upgrade from 2805 to 3805 - my experiences

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by spl23, Jul 24, 2005.

1. spl23

spl23

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +384
    Now that DL3 has been released for the 3910, I was toying with upgrading my 2805 for a 3805, and this week I finally took the plunge. If you are in a similar position, I highly recommend the upgrade!

DL3 gives you the ability to use the DSP in the amplifier on DVD-A and SACD sources. The external 6 channel input bypasses the DSP, so you have to do all the bass management, speaker levelling etc in the DVD player. With DL3, this can all be done by the amp, which makes setup much easier. You can also use the DSP programs (widescreen etc.) on SACD and DVD-A material (if you *really* want to...)

The overall effect is much cleaner sound. The 3805 also seems to give the bass far more definition than the 2805 did - notes have clearly defined starts and ends.

The new remote is a bit of a behemoth, but my significant other took one look at it and said "I want one of those" - her reaction on seeing the 2805 remote was to say it was too complicated and to ask me to take it away...

Overall, no regrets - I had my doubts about the upgrade, but my first couple of days with the 3805 have removed those. If you can afford it, I'd really recommend one.

2. Cable Monkey

Cable Monkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +205
    I have a 3805 and I want to consider a DL3 capable player. If the option were to trickle down to the 2910 replacement I would be happy to swap, but a 3910 would be great too. Makes a mockery of all thos extra connections on the back though!

3. spl23

spl23

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +384
    I hate to say it, but the difference in sound quality between the 2910 and the 3910 is really quite noticeable, leaving aside Denon Link. I upgraded to a 2910 and 2805 from an Arcam Alpha 9 amp and Alpha 8 SE CD player, and I wasn't really happy with the overall sound. Changing to the 3910 made me happy again - it is a much better sounding CD player than the 2910.

4. Cable Monkey

Cable Monkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +205
    Priority is new speakers at the moment. Kef KHT9000ACE's to be precise. Once I have those a new player might reap some real world improvements